rifle and scope basics

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by tglahn17, Jun 13, 2007.

1. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, everyone,

I just got a bolt action rifle and scope. I've never fired a bolt action rifle before. I haven't even mounted the scope yet. I've got a lot of questions about setting this up. I'll start with a simple one. I wear glasses to correct my vision. Should I be sighting through the scope wearing or not wearing my glasses? The scope has a focus ring. It seems like with my glasses on, the reticle is more in focus than with my glasses off. I can get the image in focus with or without my glasses on by adjusting the focus ring. Thanks,

2. some_finn

some_finn Guest

In that case I'd shoot with the glasses on.
    But it's important to keep constant cheek weld etc. so that you look through the same part of the lens of your eyeglasses.
    If you change the position of your head so that you look through your eyeglasses at a different angle it can effect point of impact and screw up your groups.
    In practise not a big issue as you should keep constant cheek weld/posture anyway.
    I wear glasses too but no focus ring is enough for me to shoot without them so I have no option there.

Of course why not try both with and without glasses to see if you can tell any difference in the results.
    If not, just do it the way which feels more comfortable.

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I shoot thru a scope without glasses. The scope and its setting become my glasses. See if you can do without the glasses as it is more a robust practice to eliminate one piece of equipment that can go Murphy on you at the wrong time.

4. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I would think it would be wise to shoot with your glasses. If you are hunting, the animal isn't going to wait for you to remove your glasses then take the shot.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

You hunt (or otherwise shoot) without glasses (probabaly easiest to do if you are farsighted) so you do not have to fumble with anything. Use glasses for non-shooting purposes if necessary.