Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my M9-A1 9mm for about six months now and have about a case worth the Speer Lawman 115 grain through it. I've also run some Winchester White Box and assorted el cheap steel cased ammo. The major question about these guns is reliability. During the break in period I had a couple FTE during the winter in Maine. Now, tight chamber plus steel case ammo plus break in plus ten degree weather will add up to some issues. However, since that time I have been running the gun through the local IDPA season with ZERO malfunctions. If the gun will run during competition with no reliability issues, then it deserves a place in my night stand. Side note: I am running the Blade Tech String Ray for IDPA and I like it too. It is very quick on the draw and I have been told by some Master Class shooters the Blade Tech holsters tend to dry quicker than other kydex holsters due to the smooth-as-glass inside. Smooth=Less Friction

Pros and cons of the gun.

Pros:

Great trigger. Short for a striker fired pistol and it is starting to break in nicely for extra smoothness.
Low bore axis leads to manageable recoil.
Easy take down for cleaning.

Pro and con:

The sights have been taking some getting used to for me, however they are starting to come into their own. I have noticed that the front sight is very quick at ranges under 10-15 yards and this is great for IDPA.

Con:

Biggest is the grip! It is summer and I just had to grip take half the pistol just to keep my sweaty paws on it. At first I felt like the grip was large and the angle was off, but dry fire practice has taken care of that.
The mag well really could use some sort of bevel at all. Granted it is easy to clear mags in case of malfunction, but I would rather have mag changes be quicker.
The slide lock and mag release are mounted low and that is good for carry, but hard to reach sometimes!

In conclusion, I really like the pistol. By really like I mean I never plan on selling it. There is little to nothing that this gun can not do. I am starting to think that this type of pistol is the best of all worlds. Striker fired, polymer, 9mm with a 4 inch barrel is the way to go. It is that happy medium of pistol. Some might consider the pistol odd, but I consider it innovative. I like innovative! It just works. Go buy one!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put pre-cut traction grips on mine and find they work extremely well in the summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts