Steyr Club Forums banner
2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  stvan 
#1 ·
As a couple of you know, I just recently bought a Steyr S40-A1 last week when I was lucky enough to find just one shop in town that had a Styer and luckily it was just what I was looking for: an S40-A1.

But enough chit chat, on to how the Steyr did this weekend! I went to the range Saturday with the expectations of this gun being finicky, especially during break-in and had no hopes of it acting like my go anywhere, do anything Sig P226. I was prepared for racking, ejecting, fiddling, who knows what?! Well, 100+ rounds later I can report that I had 0 misfires, 0 failure to extract/eject, 0 failures to go into battery, 0 anything! And what's more, even though this gun is only about 2/3 the size of the P226, it's just as accurate and gives that same confidence inspiring weight and grip that the bigger gun does. The sight takes some getting used to for sure, but I realized after a bit that the only thing I was really sighting for was the vertical. The horizontal always naturally fell into place with the triangle for whatever reason, so I eventually got the hang of it. Sadly I don't have pictures of the targets, but from my third series of 10 on, I was getting about 4-5 inch clusters at 7 yards. I only shot a series of 20 from 15 yards and was REALLY surprised to see that my cluster only grew a couple of inches.

Bottom line: If you ever had doubts of getting a Steyr because it's "touchy" or because it's "high maintenance", just get the dang gun. You are missing out on a hidden gem. It plays hard so long as it's taken care of at the end of the day, just like any other gun. In the end, I couldn't be happier to own a Steyr!

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on the purchase, and a good report. I got the S9 with a 40 coming on Friday. :-D Like you, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance. You are correct about really just vertical sighting. I must be still a bit off with consistently shooting high but on center at 7yards. Target reacquistion is like no other that I've experienced!!! At the range, I am a slow shooter going for accuracy and bullseyes with new guns. But the Steyr just makes you want to go fast with no muzzle flip (on the 9 anyways, haven't shot the 40, but I'm gonna soon!!! :-D)

#3 ·
Thanks Yellow! I agree, I was shooting high the first couple of magazines through it, but once I adjusted my grip on the gun, I was able to hold it down. Every once in a while you'd get a shot where it'd go high, but always my mistake. I'll admit, I am usually a slow shooter too, taking time to aim and such, but this gun makes 10 rounds in 10 seconds really enjoyable and very easy to group. I like to use the airgun targets (the ones with the 12 small targets on each page) as an accuracy test for handhungs at 7 yards, and even with those small targets, each group was visibly separate, so I consider the sighting on these to be great.

#5 ·
It's definitely a good surprise to expect something bad and get something as awesome as what these guns do. I haven't been back out to the range but next weekend I will, and this gun will be with me when I go. This time I have another Steyr to bring with me too! An M95 Carbine, so it'll be a Steyr full day!

#6 ·
Lucky you Goin!!! Reread your post. My S40 came in last friday. Looks like I got one that is suffering with the trigger reset being stuck plague. But I'm too chicken to follow BigTaco's or ETH's advice on taking it apart and performing maintenance/repair. Scrollsawing is my thing, not gunsmithing. :-/ Email is in to Steyr yesterday to ask if they would perform any repair work for me.

#7 ·
Email is in to Steyr yesterday to ask if they would perform any repair work for me.
Call them don't email them. They answer the phone and are good to talk with about Steyr problems. Things work much faster that way - imagine the stack of emails they've got after the Show, you don't want to be in that queue if you can help it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.