Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen.

I am new to Steyr ownership and so far my enthusiasm was kind of held back by some annoying trigger issues.
My gun is a low round count M9-A1 that I just purchased used last weekend.

I stripped Ms. Steyr's frame down to every pin, cleaned it, reassembled it and mounted it to the slide by itself (no grip).
The way mine malfunctions, is that when I leave my finger on the trigger while the gun cycles it doesn't reset right. A subsequent trigger pull will yield no result.
In the fully assembled gun, I can make her shoot in two ways. Either pull the trigger forward farther, or slap the grip as if I was inserting a magazine.
Then she will go *click* as expected.
With the grip removed, I can see that the "catch" doesn't come all the way forward. If I push it 1/32" or so, the trigger pull will result in a *click*.
Will tinker with it some more tonight, although I would appreciate advise.

It appears to me, that the only thing pulling the "catch" forward is the trigger bar through the trigger spring with a little assistance of spring 12. If that's the case, how can I improve that without sacrificing trigger feel?!?

:wall:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
First question, have you read the Big Taco tutorial on trigger reset? If not, got to downloads on this site and get it. Second, have you checked the position of the springs 12 &13 to make sure they aren't flipped. Third, check the spring in the trigger to make sure it's installed properly. Fourth, have you checked the pins holding the sear and post to make sure that, 1, the rounded ends point toward the trigger bar, 2, that they aren't protruding into the trigger bar space. The latter will cause reset problems, ask me how I know...

I put a little moly on the trigger safety sub-trigger to make sure it moved smoothly. Then I followed the BT trigger reset thread and polished the trigger bar and the spot on the subframe where it rubs.

Just some suggestions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I checked / downloaded all the documents, but non was striking me as being dedicated to reset issues...
Will check again tonight and thanks for your hints.

12 and 13 are in correct (based on the downloaded instructions).
The trigger spring looks legit also. Checked the posts as well.
I'm a little at a loss here, but I'll check the taco stuff again and dig into it more.
Also, I'll shoot her tonight, to see if the issue got better, or may even go away with live fire.
The first time I took her out I fed her a crappy Tula diet, so that may have been part of the issue?!

//edit: Your signature inspired mine BTW ;)
//edit 2: K31 fan?

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Love those SB K31s! Release the front two bands slightly and the things will shoot 1/4 MOA. The ballistics of the 7.5x55 are just about 1/4 MOA worse than the Grendel, and the booollets are lots cheaper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a neat scope on mine and will add a muzzle brake and bipod soon.
Love those things. Straight pull FTW! haha
Plus, the bullets looks like jewelry :D

About the Steyr:
I took it to the range yesterday for a quick follow up with blazer brass 124 gr.
Shot 2 mags, 10 rds each.
First mag - like clockwork, except the slide didn't stay open...
2nd mag - I experienced a 2 shot burst fire! The trigger pull right after the burst yielded nothing. Pulled the trigger forward, worked for the rest of the mag, but didn't hold open either...

Curiouser and curiouser...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Can you post a photo of trigger bar assembly (trigger and trigger bar) removed from the frame and disconnected from the subframe? I had a problem with "no click" when I tried to tweak the mechanism some more and bent trigger spring nr. 20 too much. The only way you could spot it without trigger disassembly is that trigger bar (nr. 16) sagged a lot and was not held "rigid" but was wobbly in the trigger assembly. Hope you understand what I mean. It was easy to fix, I have disassembled the trigger and bent spring back to its original shape

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can strip this thing down to every single pin and spring blind by now LOL.
Will post something later today.
The thought had crossed my mind that the "funky 20" could be the culprit.
How would that explain full auto though?

Also, any advise on slide lock issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As promised.
Pic isn't great, but you can see all the springs.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
If you've had a full auto episode, keep it torn down, call SteyrArms and talk to Jeff. You need to get this serviced by SteyrArms. Don't risk it. There is something truly funky going on.

The mag holdback is just a matter of rounds. After about 7-800 rounds mine started holding back just fine. When you slap the mag in, the slide drops automagically, really nice for IDPA or USPSA.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The mag holdback is just a matter of rounds. After about 7-800 rounds mine started holding back just fine. When you slap the mag in, the slide drops automagically, really nice for IDPA or USPSA.
Usually it's just to high of a grip. (I know you know that though)

I thought kinda hard about this though seeing a lot of people shoot and watching other guns not catch.

I don't think some people are holding their pistol firm enough when they have lock back issues.

I've tried the slap feature a few times just for fun with dummy rounds.

You gotta be quick and firm otherwise it wont strip a round.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you've had a full auto episode, keep it torn down, call SteyrArms and talk to Jeff. You need to get this serviced by SteyrArms. Don't risk it. There is something truly funky going on.

Brings up a good point... Do these things have warranty?
By SteyrArms I assume you mean the importer, not another forum or shop, right?

Usually it's just to high of a grip. (I know you know that though)

I thought kinda hard about this though seeing a lot of people shoot and watching other guns not catch.

I don't think some people are holding their pistol firm enough when they have lock back issues.

I've tried the slap feature a few times just for fun with dummy rounds.

You gotta be quick and firm otherwise it wont strip a round.
How can the grip change the slide catch?
None of my other guns have slide lock issues... I've never heard of limp wristing the slide lock. :rofl:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Brings up a good point... Do these things have warranty?
By SteyrArms I assume you mean the importer, not another forum or shop, right?

How can the grip change the slide catch?
None of my other guns have slide lock issues... I've never heard of limp wristing the slide lock. :rofl:
SAI has great service and I'm confident they will fix your issue.

As for the high grip, this is a high axes fire arm, being your hand is higher behind the barrel than a lot of other firearms, a standard thumbs forward grip can unintentionally keep you on the slide lock allowing it to not move up.

Any time I've had issues with the slide lock, it was because of this.

If you have a weak grip on a fire arm, the slide does not operate properly.

I was not insinuating that your limp-wristing the pistol. My apologies.
But it was just an observance and thought I had this morning.

Some guys are reporting that their pistol locks back fine with new mag springs, but others of us on here have no issues.

*shrugs*

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. I'll have to pay attention to that.

Will contact SAI on Monday. See what happens...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am/was having reset issues on my S40. I haven't been back to the range to retry again, mostly cause of lack of time, and when I do find the time, ummmmmm... there is no ammo to be had ANYWHERE.

Anyways, after my first range trip, I took it home and cleaned it up. Since then, I've probably dry fired 100-200 times and hammering back the slide as hard as I could and fast as I could, have noticed no issues with reset in doing that. Not sure if this is any sort of indication. As per my post a few weeks ago, it did (the reset) seem to get better as my range trip went on. The non-reset occurred with less frequency towards the end of my trip. I put about 280 rounds through it that day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll call Steyr, see what they say. Have very little ambition to send it out just yet though.
Will tinker with it some more and report back.

During dry fire practice I noticed that the gun almost never has reset issues if I release the slide from the slide lock (which is probably the hardest slap forward I can get out of the gun.

On a different note, how do you like that XDS?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I really like the XDs. I've had no problems with mine, save for one light strike (which was my fault for slingshotting it after locked back instead of releasing the slide). Other than that, I've ran all sorts of ammo through it. Never had any issues. It shoots very well, IMO and was my favorite range gun until I discovered Steyr. It is what I used to pass my CCW course here in WV. I wondered about recoil when I was looking at them, a .45 cal in that small and light of a piece, I thought for sure my hand and wrist would regret it but that's not the case. Seeing how we both have the G27, mine being a Gen III, that is one that I have a little buyer's remorse and wished I had not spent the money on. I just don't well with it, both performance and handling wise. Constantly to the left of the target and I experience some fatigue after a few boxes. That and the SIG are going to be put up on the market soon, I think. Just not happy with either of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You... don't... like... your... 27?
BLASPHEMER!
:p

I know this is a forum dedicated to the competition, but I love both Steyrs and Glocks.
The G27 is just so versatile, but now we're getting way off topic.

About the original issue, I will report back once I know more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts