Steyr Club Forums banner
2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Talyn 
#1 ·
I bought a drill press awhile back and I've been having fun drilling anything that looks drillable. The biggest hassle has been getting the work jigged at the right spot. How I wished the DP had a laser light... Duh, mad scramble for the night stand, where did I stick it, voila! It didn't work too well in the .40 pistols, as it is longer than a regular cartridge, however that makes it just perfect to place in the chuck and point to where the drill bit will go. It made installing a compensator on my vz58 a joy rather than the pain I was afraid it would be.

#2 ·
Having a GOOD adjustable vice for your press table will make all the differences in the world. Then on top of that, there are tricks to actually centering and doing your setups with a vice to not have to do that.

But the Bore Site idea is very awesome.

I need to get a vice for my drill press as well. The guy I bought it from got a newer press and sold me his old one for 50 dollars. He wanted a different taper for the chuck, so I got a steal, cause this is an older one that is really good.
He took his vice though and his stand extension. I need to get that sucker up off the floor. So hard to use down there being 6'3.

Just remember drilling metals, don't go faster than you need too, otherwise your just burning up bits.
Slow and steady. =) Drives me crazy seeing guys crank these machines on high and slam though metal and just burn up bits.

#3 ·
Amen!

I too am 6'3", and one of the best things I have is a used kitchen island from Ikea. The owner didn't want it, and it's just the right height for a workbench. I mounted my vise on one end, and the drill press (Grizzly G7943) on the other. I also wish I'd plunked for the 7944...

I got the X-Y vice from Grizzly. In retrospect, I should have bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought one the X-Y tables from www.use-enco.com. The Fowler is interesting as it has a more or less calibrated wheel on each axis. The problem was the $200+, but I wouldn't have spent hours trying to get the slop (backlash) out of the cranks, and the problems with getting the gibs set just right to get the ShopFox vise to even approach usable.

If you want to learn a bunch about machining, get on the weapons-guild website and take the 10 hour MIT prototype shop class. It's stickied there and even though I'd worked with a machine shop long, long ago, I learned a bunch, and got a lot of good ideas. It also makes you head for the used machine auction pages to see if just maybe...

#4 ·
Amen!

I too am 6'3", and one of the best things I have is a used kitchen island from Ikea. The owner didn't want it, and it's just the right height for a workbench. I mounted my vise on one end, and the drill press (Grizzly G7943) on the other. I also wish I'd plunked for the 7944...

I got the X-Y vice from Grizzly. In retrospect, I should have bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought one the X-Y tables from www.use-enco.com. The Fowler is interesting as it has a more or less calibrated wheel on each axis. The problem was the $200+, but I wouldn't have spent hours trying to get the slop (backlash) out of the cranks, and the problems with getting the gibs set just right to get the ShopFox vise to even approach usable.

If you want to learn a bunch about machining, get on the weapons-guild website and take the 10 hour MIT prototype shop class. It's stickied there and even though I'd worked with a machine shop long, long ago, I learned a bunch, and got a lot of good ideas. It also makes you head for the used machine auction pages to see if just maybe...
Oh man. I love free classes.

I'll have to look into it when I have high speed again.

This lack of internet is killing me.

Went to upload my C9-A1 video's today I made and what a waste of time driving 45 mins to get high speed. I guess I'm going to have to go up to the college, which should work better unless they locked everything out there now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.