Reload trouble in my M40

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by bama1157, Feb 4, 2008.

1. bama1157

bama1157 Guest

First off let me say hello to everyone as I am new here. Well I have started reloading and I am having a big problem with my M40 firing them it acts like the firing pin is bareley hitting the primer I have checked everything as far as the loaded rounds go and they are fine and fire with no problem in other pistols. Has anyone had a problem with reloads in there M40's?

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

bunch of things to check, i'm sure you know most, but the ONE you could be missing could make a difference.

sizing die getting the brass small enough? steyr chambers are pretty tight.

reloading cases previously fired in unsupported chambers? a little bulge here or there can hang up your steyr.

seating the primers deep? if not deep enough, your firing pin just seats the primer.

which primers? pick something light.

assuming you're doing all those things AND your 40 runs on store bought, i'm not sure what to tell you. good luck!!

3. bama1157

bama1157 Guest

Well at first I had the bullet seated to far out it took me a while but I got that fixed I have checked most of my rounds by dropping them in the barrel they seem to fit just like factory rounds. the only thing left is the primer. Could they be to hard? As far as the seating of the primer they look right but I don't know the cases I bought were already primed.

4. some_finn

some_finn Guest

I had similar issues due to primers that were not quite properly seated.
    The first firing pin hit would push the primer all the way in and and leave a shallow imprint. A second attempt and the cartridge would go off.
    Maybe the main spring is a bit on the weak side so it's more prone to this issue where other guns hit the primer harder and manage to ignite all the primers even if they aren't quite properly seated.
    I sort of got the impression my M40 was more finicky in this respect than many other pistols.

5. bama1157

bama1157 Guest