Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- new member here...

I did a forum search and came up empty so i thought i'd ask;

I recently acquired a Steyr Mannlicher-L FS in .243. The rifle is from the 80's or 90's from what i can tell, and the number on the barrel, and bolt assembly doesn't match. IIRC the bolt assembly has 2 numbers, and those numbers don't match each other either.

The previous owner says the rifle was not frankensteined together and is all complete as it was originally purchased.

Does that sound right? The action is smooth as butter and it functions perfectly, and it's accurate as heck, so that's what really matters to me...but i'd still like to know what the numbers not matching means...if anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I never have checked any of mine to see if they have matching numbers on the bolt and barrel. I don't think it matters for several reasons:
1. The bolt does not lock into the front ring of the receiver, like a Mauser, Winchester, or Remington. It locks up with a precision set of rear lugs.

2. The entire rifle is so tight, so precision, the parts held to such high tolerances, that I would not be surprised if bolts are not pretty interchangeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts