Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a new S9-A1 which was manufactured in 09/2012. The firing pin spring was coated with some sort of red lubricant paste. Does anyone know exactly what it is?

FWIW, I put it's first 200 rounds (Federal 115 grain FMJ RN) through it last week. With the exception of shooting a bit to the right, it performed absolutely flawlessly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Great to hear your gun is shooting flawlessly. I'm sorry I, don't know what the red paste is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've been through my share of trials and tribulations with FTE's on 2 previous M9-A1's (both fixed via new extractors from Jeff Reese). So a new S9-A1 running smoothly out of the box is a welcome relief.

Regarding the red lubricant, I'm just curious about it and what its virtues may be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is a Copper Antiseize. It also comes on factory Glocks if I understand correctly. Seeing that I have a never bought a new glock I do not know for sure. I use Nickel base antisieze on my own weapons. It is a surprisingly matte in its color with no shiny silber reflection. Also is excellent for high temperature use. The old motto is Oil what turns; grease what slides.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No doubt it's something like that. FWIW, I've had a few new GLOCK's and their factory lube, which some say is Loctite C5-A, had a distinct copper color and was only on the slide rails. The substance on the Steyr was very reddish and only on the firing pin's spring.

Here's a thread on another site where "max229" has an interesting theory on why GLOCK might be applying an anti-sieze compound on new guns: http://3gn.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=66822.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts