Red Dot - M or S?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Rotorflyr, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Active Member

Like the title say's, if you had both pistols and were going to RD one of them, which would it be and why?

2. Case

Case Well-Known Member

M . Because it be more useful on that pistol .
    The S model would be too small. And that pistol is designed more as a conceal carry you would add too much bulk.

3. Housertl

Housertl Active Member

I’m of the exact opposite mind. An RMR, mulled into the slide, has very little impact on concealability, and the red dot has more utility on shorter guns, because it overcomes the short sight radius.

Rotorflyr likes this.
  4. Case

Case Well-Known Member

There is any option without milling your slide .

Rotorflyr likes this.
  5. Housertl

Housertl Active Member

Sure, but the dovetail mounts are inherently inferior to a milled application. Most preclude the use of iron sights, which is not an optional feature with slide mounted red dots. You need the irons as “training wheels” to help you find the dot. Dovetail mounts also introduce unnecessary height over bore issues, as well as making holster selection more problematic.

The only real value, in my mind, for dovetail mounts, are if you are unsure whether you want to go all in on a red dot pistol, AND you already own a micro red dot, the $50 to $100-ish investment is easier to swallow. If, however, you will also be buying the red dot, a dovetail mount doesn’t really save you enough money to justify not doing it right in the first place.

Rotorflyr likes this.
  6. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Just be mindful if you mill a 4th generation or 5th generation slide you are going to affect its reliability and you are going to permanently seal The striker bearing you also do not have any Room for errorBecause you have the mill so close to the ejector you are also going to lose the rear dovetail area To accommodate a RMR. There are only ! 2 or 3 people that has successfully milled their slides . That I'm aware of. Check out the Ranger point Precision, mount. It will keep you as low as possible to the bore. FB_IMG_1557019920067.jpg

Rotorflyr likes this.
  7. Housertl

Housertl Active Member

Yeah, I’m one of those 2 or 3.
    Mark Housel did mine, and he now offers it as a standard service.

https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/product/steyr-trijicon-rmr-installation/#add-back-up-sights

Sigma05 and Case like this.
  8. Housertl

Housertl Active Member

9. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Active Member

I’m not sure I’d agree entirely with that assessment, it “might” be true for someone who has never used a rd on any firearm (in which case I’d suggest starting with one on a long gun anyway) but for anyone who’s familiar with them, it’s a small learning curve at best. The biggest drawback to not having a cowitness would be if your optic failed.

Depending on what rd one were to choose height over bore wouldn’t be a big deal either. I’m not sure I see holster selection as much of an issue beyond what they already are for rd equipped pistols and/or Steyrs either.

edit to add: It would still be nice if Steyr would come out with suppressor height trap sights ;-)

Case likes this.
  10. sdvldog1371

sdvldog1371 New Member

As I'm reading this post I see people talking about just the Trijicon offerings of MRDS. I happen to have the ne Holosun 507k and it fits the slide WAY better than the RMR I was going to attempt to put on it. By the way I have both an M9 and S9 and they're Marginally different in size. Side by side it is a wash. You get the same grip length and a slide reduction of about 3/8- 1/2 inch on the S9.

11. sdvldog1371

sdvldog1371 New Member

I tried to insert pictures but I don't have enough posts yet.

Well since I don't have social media of any sort and my pictures files are too large to post I suppose I will have to wait for Chris to post them on his site and link them.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  12. sdvldog1371

sdvldog1371 New Member

Chris Richardson of Fabricated Arms did the work and was the only well known Smith that would take on the project. Just the machining was $100! That's it and he did an outstanding job. Perfect fitment with extremely little overhang of the sight one my S9-A1 with rollpin behind the sight. I'm sure with how much he took out that he could get away with this model on the older style S9 I have with the read chamber indicator.

13. silentheart

silentheart Active Member

Call me old school. Neither. Learned the trap sight well. What happen when the battery die? What happen when the red’s glass crack? With a red dot mounted, you can’t use the regular sight.

Michael Dobesch and Case like this.
  14. Case

Case Well-Known Member

You are S O L ... I with you I have the same thoughts. I did get to test a Trijicon RMR and is was really built well . I would say I'd only have one if I also have backup irons

Michael Dobesch and silentheart like this.
  15. Sigma05

Sigma05 Member

I swap the battery on my RMR once a year on my birthday. Same time as I cycle my carry ammo. I have my RMR on 24/7-365. It has never died on me in the 5 years I have been carrying. The RMR lens is incredibly hard to crack. Plenty of videos of people trying intentionally and not succeeding. Other cheaper red dots can crack pretty easily. Not the RMR. With a proper milled RMR, and suppressor sights, you can see them and use them perfectly as back ups if Murphy’s law kicks in.

Case likes this.