Recoil springs

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by breechplug, Mar 10, 2007.

1. breechplug

breechplug Guest

Anyone out there know where I can get a recoil spring for my M-40? Thanks, Craig. :?: :?:

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *plug :)

Contact Jack or Jeff at SAI and tell 'em ya need one and see what they have to say?

Steyr Service Center:

Steyr Arms, INC.
    5977 Steeplechase Blvd.
    Cumming, Ga. 30040
    Phone number 770-888-4201

Then plz post what happens. G'luck. ;) :p

Wulf

3. breechplug

breechplug Guest

Wulf , I just got off the phone with Jeff at SAI, he told me the only way to get a recoil spring is to send in my slide and they would replace the guide rod and spring. He also said he has been trying to order those springs and he didn't think there would be enough intrest to make it worth while. They have the S recoil springs though. Craig

:cry:

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

So much for SAI getting their act together with regards to selling us parts. :( That is real disappointing to hear...

Wulf - any idea of Wulff makes a generic spring that would/could work? As far as I'm concerned, you're the guru of parts interchangeability with our pistols :).

5. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

I would also like to know, if you can use other guns recoil springs in your steyr.

what about the guide rod itself, are any other guns guide rods compatible in the steyr?

6. breechplug

breechplug Guest

Bigtaco from our club has very nice SS guide rods at a very good price, but he dosen't have access to the springs as of yet.

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hey...Whoa, Boys :shock:

Stand down.... BT's been workin' his arse off to make these stainless steel guide rods available to Club members and they are here and they are superbly crafted, closely tolleranced and finely polished. Spring aquisitions are still in the works. The stocker M357-A1 recoil spring is about 4.85" long, uncompressed. I can tell ya that my Wilson Combat 1911 17 lb'er works fine with my M357A-1 shootin' 110 gr JHP reloads. And, I suspect that it will work fine with other 357 SIG bullets, as well. But, I can't say for sure if that particular spring will work for the M40's and M9's cause I haven't put that spring in any M40's or M9's and put a few bullets downrange. l'll know more about which recoil springs work in my M357-A1 when I've shot different ammo using it. When I get some 125 gr component bullets with which to reload some more bullets, I'll post more info. I have Wilson combat recoil springs in 17, 18, and 19 lbs in my lit'l stash o' leftover 1911 stuff that I haven't got rid of yet that I can further test after reloading. And, BTW, several of ya have BT's recoil guides now. If ya have other recoil springs available in your parts stashes, check 'em out for prospective use for whichever M Series caliber ya got. Kinda get a feel for what the spring tension is on your stocker Steyr recoil guide assembly and try and match the spring tension. If its close, giver 'er a go. If its weaker, I wouldn't wanna try it cause it may damage your slide. If you're a redneck and the 3rd grade was the best 3 years of your life, ya maybe oughtta hold off till the info is available...remember, "better safe than sorry". :wink: We've got over 2550 members now and we should be able to gather info quickly with a little networkin'. It'll be fun! :p Don't be scared! 8) In the mean time, I'm workin' on SAI and Steyr, Austria to see if and when we can get the appropriate stocker springs from Austria either thru SAI or direct from S-M. But, it won't happen over night, Guys, but it'll happen. 8) A little patience, please. PM me if ya have any questions conc prospective springs. And, get involved in the mIRC #Steyrclub chatroom. It's definitely up and runnin', every night. PM me and I'll help ya get in, if you're havin' problems tryin'. Hava great week, Bros.

Wulf

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i tried to get concrete numbers from sai. they didn't have them, and i'm not sure if we'll ever get the honest kg/mm factory rate.

but... some basic guidelines for sping testing, since i can't test them all.

1) id greater than 9/32 / 7mm.

2) od less than 1/2/ ~12.5mm 13mm od MIGHT be too big. might hit the dust cover/ scrape the barrel/ just not work right. haven't tested. try it out if you have a 13mm od spring laying around.

3) spring rate ~14-19lbs. i believe the stocker to be 17 or 18 pounds.

less is going to give you a "faster slide speed". which doug koenig could appreciate, but i'm not THAT interested in.

more is going to "absorb" more energy, lessing perceived recoil. atleast these are the standing conventions. haven't personally tested these things.

too light will be hard on the action and start beating the crap out of the gun, may not reset the trigger when the firing pin tries to push the sear onto the post.

too stiff may cause feeding, extraction, ejection problems.

i can't really get into the ins and outs of spring preload, but spring preload becomes critical, to an extent.

i feel comfortable saying that an 18lb of similar over all length (~4.75-5") would be a good place to start.

anybody out there have a non-factory spring that fits the bill?

i'm waiting on some imsi springs to try out. they use nice sounding buzz words, but more importantly, the people i know that have them are very pleased.

i'll keep ya'll posted on this.