Recoil Sensitive – How is the MA1 in .40?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by gunnie 12, Aug 24, 2007.

1. gunnie 12

gunnie 12 New Member

I have a pin in my wrist and recoil sensitive. Can’t shoot .45, what about the .40 caliber…. Traditional .40 caliber is more “snappy” of a recoil and can be harsh. How is having the MA-1 recoil and muzzle rise? I heard the steyr is the “softest” .40 caliber out there? Comments?

2. rosebud

rosebud New Member

I don't have experience with the M1A 40 yet, but I can recommend that you might want to look at something like the HK P7 in 9mm, which uses a gas system and ultra-light slide to massively reduce recoil and climb. A huge load was just imported so there are a lot around for sale. If that one doesn't work for you, don't forget that heavier gun will have less fealt recoil, so you may want to look at a full steel pistol if you want a heavier caliber.

Remember that shot placement is what matters, not a couple dozen grains of bullet weight. An uncomfortable gun isn't going to let you shoot well.

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i'd have to agree with the above post for a lot of reasons.

the .45 is a low pressure round. the .40 is a very high pressure round. it is very snappy from any gun.

i think the steyr is pretty mild for a .40, but might not be mild enough if you have an aversion to recoil.

the m9 is a VERY soft shooter and with an aftermarket rubber grip doesn't feel far off from a p22 in terms of recoil.

if you're looking to go even softer, there are a number of steel framed 9mm guns that would be softer yet.

depending on where you're located, there's always the chance that a steyr owner lives nearby and could meet you at a range for a test drive. we've had a pretty good success rate at getting potential owners access to one to try out.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I would also recommend looking long and hard at the M9A1. IMHO, modern 9mm gives nothing up to .40S&W that will equate to real-world results, and I would rather have something I was comfortable enough with to shoot accurately all day than a pistol that makes me cringe with each squeeze of the trigger. "Bigger is better" only works when you are unequivocally as comfortable with said caliber as you are with the one right below it. And BT is right - .45 is a soft push and .40 is more of a vicious snap - many shooters would rank .40's recoil as being more severe than .45 (myself included). If you seriously have concerns about going with a .40 due to recoil - don't.

5. PeskyGee

PeskyGee Guest

Ditto here. My .45 has the kinda slow kick to it but my M40-A1 has a snappy bang. If recoil is a problem, I have found that the steel frame full size 9mm's fit the bill just fine. Or even a full size polymer also. Perhaps a Taurus PT92 or 917 will be perfect. I have a 917C and I can shoot that thing all day and its extremely accurate. Also, I had a Star 30M. Very nice full frame/steel, High Cap weapon that shoots very accurate and has very little kick. Only problem with them is that company is "OOB" and you may have a hard time finding parts for it if something happens. Also Mag's that fit the gun are hard to find. that was the reason I got rid of it :-(. I believe that Springfield makes a 1911 in a 9mm. Perhaps you should look into that?

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

My Steyr M40 A1 and M9 A1 both feel the same to me.... and to others who shoot them.....

My P7M8 and P7 PSP are both all steel weapons with less ammo capacity but do feel "softer" than the Steyrs....

However, every time I take friends shooting, having fired the above weapons, they all agree [as do I] that the easiest/smoothest/most accurate pistols I have are my Magnum Research 'Baby Eagles" in 9mm and 40 S&W....

And the grip... oh my..... that grip......

Many friends of mine have run out and purchased these fine pistols after shooting mine... They are great out of the box. I do recommend ordering the rubber grips from Magnum Research...

NOTHING will feel better in your hand.....

Find one to hold.... you'll see what I mean....

8)

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I was a big fan of .40 S&W caliber -- on paper. Ballistics said it would be an improvement over 9mm. But paper can lie. I was really surprised when I bought a M40-A1 to find it has a snappier recoil than my M357-A1, which is head and shoulders above .40 on paper, ballistically speaking. And as others have already noted, .40's also snappier than 9mm, virtually any 9mm with the possible exception of very lightweight 9mm pocket pistols.

40's not a vicious recoil or anything like that, but it's just snappy enough to take the fun out of it, for me anyway. I even found it to be more unpleasant compared to the two 10mm pistols I've owned, S&W 1076 and Glock 29.

I'd go with the M9-A1 right now, for two reasons. It's a great pistol and it's also a great buy from CDNN for $350, until they sell out. Give them a call today (800-588-9500) and get yours before the "fire sale" is over. The next shipment to the U.S. of Steyr pistols from Austria will see prices back up into the $500+ range. :shock:

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I do not like the .40 recoil. I would go 9mm.

9. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

I was just curious, would replacing the plastic guide rod with one of BT's metal ones reduce the .40's felt recoil or make it less snappy? Is there any other way to reduce the recoil, besides adding a hogue grip?

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

It is physically impossible to reduce the recoil of the weapon.

For every action their is an equal and opposite reaction....

..."Felt Recoil" is another matter altogether....

I don't feel the rod reduces felt recoil, but the added weight does help keep the already nill muzzle flip to a minimum!!!

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I just had a hand operation and I work in the therapy business and I would agree with the above recommendations to stick with the 9mm. The Steyr 9 is great for recoil damping as are many of the 9m's.......Ballistics have improved greatly. I have committed mostly to the 9mm again and i have to say I enjoy shooting it for many reasons, especially getting back on target quickly........Which 9? Take your pick..........My favorite would be of course the Steyr, Glock 34 long slide, HK full size, Sig 229 or 226.........Taurus PT 92, Beretta of course, our Official military handgun.....

The P7 is the squeeze handle pistol....yes??? that might be an issue for hand strength, though an outstanding pistol...........

12. Foofighter50

Foofighter50 New Member

I agree with Shooter.

I have a touch of arthritis in my wrists, and I can shoot my M9-A1 all day long comfortably. But when I shoot the M40-A1, I can feel the effects after a couple of magazines full. The .40 S&W has a sharp recoil, like a quick jolt, and the subsequent shot takes longer to get back on target, than the 9mm does. This is not to say the 40 is uncontrollable, only a big difference from the 9mm.

I can't tell any difference in felt recoil in the 40 and the 357 SIG. I think the Steyr 40 has less "felt" recoil than my Beretta 96 40 cal, due to more advanced design, and the Beretta is the heavier piece.

Buy a quality 9mm, like the Steyr, and choose a premium cartridge, and you won't give up anything to the 40's.

Hope this helps!

13. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Bab* :)

I gotta buddy with an MR9400RSL (.40S&W) and it is a very accurate piece, indeed, and the grip is nice. :) My only complaint was with the recoil and the trigger pinch. We were tryin' out some of my 135 gr JHP and 155 gr JHP SD reloads, and by comparison, my Walther P99 (40 SW) had significantly less perceived recoil. Unfortunately, I didn't have an M40-A1 to compare them to. <shrug> We both noticed the difference, tho. And, there was an annoyin' "trigger finger pinch" with both of these fine firearms that lead to small blisters on our trigger fingers. This event inspired a shared toast between us, "Ta blistered trigger fingers! :p " Try sayin' that 3X's real fast after a few Coronas an' tequillas!:p ... :shock: Uhh.... :oops: Guess ya hadta be there. <shrug> Come to think of it, we actually walked away that day with some "still-in-the-box" 40 SW ammo! :shock: That doesn't happen very often 'round here. :twisted: Hava great weekend. :)

Wulf

14. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

HiYa Wulf!

the "MR9400RSL" you refer to is the polymer framed version of that pistol... which I personally abhor....

The all steel [full size] versions, IMHO, have the most comfortable grip feel and shoot more accurately than any of my polymer pistols....

I would Highly recommend trying one out sometime!

But, to each his own!

Peace

15. Dag

Dag Guest

Recoil

Hi gunnie 12

Well, the consensus seems to be pretty clear, regarding caliber (9mm Luger). Not so clear for weapon selection. The Steyr, both M and A1, have a 4" barrel, and will give more muzzle flip than a longer barrel. A couple of guns you might consider are the CZ75 (all steel, with a 4.7" barrel) and the Springfield XD Tactical (polymer frame, with a 5" barrel). I have an XD-40 Tactical, and it's a very soft shooter (less perceived recoil than my M40-A1). I haven't shot a CZ75, but it's also a world-class pistol. If you do go with 9mm, do your homework when it comes to ammo selection (actually, that's a good idea, whichever caliber you choose). You'll want the absolute best available. In particular, look closely at Corbon DPX, Golden Saber, Gold Dot, Ranger, Federal HST and Federal Tactical Bonded. Good luck, and let us know what you select, AND how it works out. :)

Dag

16. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Big +1 to the above.
    I've got a 45 Baby Eagle and love it. A friend's 9mm has very light recoil and is fast shooting.

17. Dag

Dag Guest

baby Eagle Grip

Can you compare the grip of a Steyr M-A1 with the Baby Eagle? For my hands (small), the Steyr simply has the best grip I've ever experienced in a handgun. Period. Second place isn't even close. :shock: I've read that the Baby Eagle also fits small hands well. How well? Better or worse than a Steyr M-A1? :?: Also, tell us about the trigger. It's all part of the package that effects perceived recoil. Thanks.

Dag

18. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Re: baby Eagle Grip

Absolutely. Better than the Steyr M-A1.

I also have small hands that barely can hold a Glock... and they M-A1 Steyrs are VERY comfy....

Much Better!! With the Hogue grip, I liken the grip on the Baby Eagle [steel only - no polymer] to Sex, only better... No B.S. :shock: :shock: I tell my friends the first time they shoot it that it will feel like the Baby Eagle is 'Making Love' to your hand... and most agree!!!

The trigger is DA/SA - phenomenally smooth and silky.... and crisp... Of all my many many pistols, nothing shoots as good as my Baby Eagles... Nothing...

No Problem!!!

Now, PLEASE - Go find one to hold, and dry fire it a couple times... the rest will "just happen"....

:wink: :wink:

19. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The trigger is very smooth, but my experience was the SA is set off by a strong breeze - the baby eagle is the only pistol I've ever shot where I accidently rattled off a second round after firing the first - scared the crap out of me. I was shooting it (9mm) side by side with my M9A1 and I greatly prefer the Steyr, but to each his own. As usual, I recommend you try before you buy...

20. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam bab* :shock:

Bet it'll save ya money too! :shock: No need for a holster, ya just shove it up your ass. Talk about concealed carry.... :twisted: Where can I get me onna dem??? :shock: There's hand cannons, then there's hand vibrators, Dude. Ya sure ya not just gettin' 'em mixed up??? :shock:

J/K...bigtime <BFG>

Wulf <-- tryin' ta get 'is M357-A1 back outta 'is front pocket