Range Results: Steyr M9 A1 vs Glock 17.

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ronin67, May 7, 2007.

1. ronin67

ronin67 Guest

Well, finally got to the range and fired both my new Steyr M9 A1 and Glock 17 and I was very impressed with my Steyr. Out of 100 rounds I had no stoppages at all. Follow up shots were very easy and the pistol was very comfortable to shoot. The distance was only about 15 yards, but the grouping wasn't too bad for the first time shooting the pistol. My standing unsupported shots were a little more wild, but this was 100% due to "Operator Head-Spacing" problems not the pistol at all. It takes me a few shots to get relaxed and tighten my shot groups. If I had shot the Glock 17 first, it would have shown the same results. Below are the posted links to the pics. I can't wait to get another Steyr to say the least. End result, the Steyr performed just as good as the Glock in both the accuracy department and total reliability (both pistols fired 100 rounds with no stoppages).

Links:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/ ... ics004.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/ ... ics003.jpg

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin

2. charmincarmens

charmincarmens New Member

Very nice shooting. Which did you like to shoot best ?

3. ronin67

ronin67 Guest

To be honest, I liked the Steyr slightly better in the grip comfort department and it is easier using Steyr 's unique sight system to get back on target for quicker follow up shots.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin

4. charmincarmens

charmincarmens New Member

That is exactly the way I feel. I only wish that Steyr had a compact for CC. Stay safe.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I shoot my M9 a little better than my 17L; even with the big sight radius advantage the L has.

6. ronin67

ronin67 Guest

That is exactly the way I feel. I only wish that Steyr had a compact for CC. Stay safe.[/quote]

I know how you feel. I wish Steyr had a small conceal carry version, however I am very happy with my Glock 39 in .45 GAP as my conceal carry weapon of choice. I also wish Steyr would make a pistol in .45 ACP or .45 GAP.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin :wink:

7. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I wonder if Steyr could fit the .45 GAP into the S frame. S45-A1.

Problem comes when Steyr produces a .45 ACP weapon, how to distinguish between .45 GAP and .45 ACP. S45G-A1? Or maybe SGAP-A1...

8. SELFDEFENSE

"I wonder if Steyr could fit the .45 GAP into the S frame. S45-A1. "
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Droool (although I would prefer the .45 ACP so I don't have to stock another caliber.

9. Seven

Seven Premium Member

That's odd...

...I find my S9 to be a fine piece for concealed carry. Not as small as my Rohrbaugh, granted, but almost nothing is. Having the better grip, more rounds, et cetera, is a plus. Works fine in belt holsters or in a good vest, and I just ordered a K&D pocket holster for it, since it fits fine in cargo-style pants (the normal front pocket, not the big side-of-the-thigh ones).

So, for my money, Steyr *has* made a fine CCW pistol. 8)

10. SELFDEFENSE

"So, for my money, Steyr *has* made a fine CCW pistol. "
    -------------------------------------------------------
    No argument there. Just would be nice to have a small .45 with the shootability of a Steyr. :)

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

if steyr had both a .45gap and .45 acp, the odds of confusing the two would be no more great than the odds of confusing .270 and 30-06.

i think it very possible to make an s45G. just need a barrel amd mags. the .45acp is too long. the gun would need a longer grip.

so as long as you kept the Gap rounds out of the acp mags, you'd be fine. but steyr doing a .45gap in production? no way.

12. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

gap's don't sell, acp's do.
    go ask springfield.
    or glock for that matter (wasn't the gap their round :oops: ).

13. SELFDEFENSE

Yes, I'd much prefer the ACP to the GAP

14. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the gap was a great concept. but the practical result was a smaller capacity .40.

15. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Are the GAP and ACP ballistics the same? I thought maintaining the ballistics in a shorter bottleneck round was the point.

16. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I wasn't suggesting that anyone would confuse a Steyr in .45 GAP with one in .45 ACP, I was simply wondering how Steyr would distinguish between guns that shoot the two rounds since their model nomenclature is based on frame size, caliber and generation.

17. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

It isn't a bottle neck round, but I thought the ballistics were the same too.....I would wait and see on the GAP.....it may be like the 357sig, and take some time to catch on.......it makes alot of sense if you are looking for a smaller grip with the same ballistics, if they are the same........

18. SELFDEFENSE

Pretty much the same. See links above.