Range report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by DKHAN, Sep 23, 2007.

1. DKHAN

DKHAN Guest

Finally got to the range w/M357. Fired 100 rounds of Cabelas reloads w/out cleaning or doing anything more than clearing chamber. Gun was purchased f/gunbroker.com as used but it appears to have never been fired. I only have 10 round mags (6), two that came w/gun appeared to be never used. All of them were a pita to load,especially last 2 rounds. Gun funtcioned flawlessly,very accurate,better than me at this point due to lack of practice. Only concern was the occasional empty case that landed on my head. That and the fact that I had to hunt down silver cases on fresh gray gravel at the range (got 99/100).
    Gun is about the same size as my S&W 6946 9mm (up f/sale,pm if interested) but fits my hand better and weighs less. I will try out Hume IWB that I still have f/M40 f/ccw. Shooting was easy as this is my 3rd Steyr and recoil was nothing (first 357sig) felt like 9mm+p at best.
    This will be new carry gun after some more range time .
    Overall : light weight,accurate reliable.Just what I expected.
    Now all I need is some jhp f/carry and some 12 round mags.
    Any suggestions ?

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya DK* :)

Contact Joe Campbell at [email protected] . He usually has the 12-rounders marked M357 stead of the 40's...if that matters to ya. <shrug> The 40's are cheaper tho. :shock: They are the same 'cept for the markin's. Be safe and have fun. :)

Wulf

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...you can also order FULL CAPACITY 357 SIG magazines here.....

:wink: :wink:

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

New mags are stiffer than a sailor with four sheets in the wind. I bought a HKS loader for .40 double-stack mags and it works just fine. I am told the gold standard of loaders is an UpLULA, but have yet to find one to buy.

Bonks on the head do seem to diminish in time. I usually wear a cap at the range. Haven't had one in quite a while at about 600+ on my M357-A1, but that's just a guess. I stopped counting after 500 rounds.

One of the Steyroids said a Don Hume for Springfield XD-40 fit his MA1 perfectly. Any of the holsters in the forum for MA1s will fit the M357-A1, same frame. I have a DeSantis Speed Scabbard and Galco belt slide.

I have shot Speer, Hornady, Federal, Winchester and other JHPs, all work fine. Get whatever you can afford. Buy in bulk from ammoman.com, midwayusa.com et c. or haunt the local gun shops and stock up a box at a time, as I do. I find WWB at Wally World in FMJs and JHPs to be the cheapest. When I find a box, I buy it.

As for mags, Wulf is the expert there. Search for one of his posts that explains how to hack Sigma .40 mags with new Wolff springs to create 15 and 16-round 357 Sig mags.

Happy shooting! :mrgreen:

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have settled on Winchester Ranger T or Speer Gold Dot in the heaviest weight.

6. DKHAN

DKHAN Guest

Thanks for the input. I got my 10 rounders f/joes pawn. I have a Don Hume IWB f/SIG 229 that I used f/M40. I saw the ad f/CDNN but am holding out hope that I can get 12 rnd f/less than $30.
    I always wear a cap on firing line to keep brass f/finding its way behind glasses (burnt eyebrows smell funny) :lol:

7. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

New mags are stiffer than a sailor with four sheets in the wind. I bought a HKS loader for .40 double-stack mags and it works just fine. I am told the gold standard of loaders is an UpLULA, but have yet to find one to buy.

I have found four sites with the UpLULA universal pistol loader listed as ''instock'' So I sent four emails if I hear anything I will let you know...

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member