Range report on a bunch of guns

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Buzz, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Since I'm talking about a bunch of guns I had no idea where this should go.

Just an update on the Mars Cetme (mentioned in another thread) and my own Cetme. The Mars went for $1600, which is a steal. $2500 to $2800 is more like it.

My own Cetme arrived Thursday and is in wonderful conditon. The headbolt gap was well within specs and not ground down. The gun was dirty as all get out, but a hidden gem. The gun was fired Saturday morning and 100 rounds fired flawlessly except for one hard primer. The gun is a pure winner. .308 is a real fun round and makes one big boom. I did some shooting out at 100 yards on a hillside (the range backdrop) and really moved some rocks. With the stories that you hear about Cetmes I wasn't sure what would happen but I've got a winner! To say that the first few shots were a bit tense would be a grand understatement.

My DPMS AR15 Panther was a tack driver with both the Tuber upper and Bushmaster AK Shorty upper. I shot with both iron sights (Yankee Hill Machine flip-up and a Guarder red dot with real ARMS cantilever quick detach mount) but I was more interested with relaibility than accuracy. Next trip things get sighted in.

I also fired my Steyr M9A1 for the first time, and it fired flawlessly over 100 rounds. No issues, no complaints, only grins. Like my M40A1 the trapezoid sights are still taking some getting used to. I fired at 25 to 30 yards and grouped 3.75 to 4.5 inches. I hope to get that way down, but again I wasn't really working on accuracy to any great degree being more interested in reliability with the short time that I had to work with each gun. I only had three hours as I had to get home for a party with an hour drive ahead of me. The initial opinion on the M9A1 is only based on 100 rounds. Recoil was minimal and muzzle jump was quite low. I think I can change my grip a little and even get that down a bit.

The only pistol malf that experienced a malfunction was my HK USP Full in .40S&W. With the snappy .40 and higher bore axis I think that I might have limp wristed it just a hair that resulted in the round catching just below the ramp. Otherwise I was quite impressed with the gun which settled down nicely once I changed my grip a little.

A Walther P1 and Walther P99C QA (9mm) both shot without a hitch. The P1 was surprisingly very, very accurate with little effort. The P99C was a bit more of a handful than I expected, but still very controllable. The QA trigger is quite a bit different than the AS on my full size .40. The pull on the first shot is long and is going to take some getting used to, but the pull on the follow-ups are short and sweet. All pulls are said to be the same, but perception changes on follow-up shots leading to one of the nicest multiple shot pulls that I've experienced. I can see why some tactical units prefer the QA pull. Your first shot is rather deliberate with effortless follow-ups .

My Glock 33 in .357 Sig continues to be an incredible little gun. I love the .357 Sig round and just told my dealer (who is right by Steyr USA) that my SA1 will be in .357. The Glock is a fine weapon. I shot it both with the Pierce +0 pinky extension and the A&G extended magazine adapter for higher capacity mags. The extended mag with adapter tended to pinch my finger and actually threw the balance off. The pinky extension on a standard mag was perfect. It was the same exact way with the Walther P99C except the extended mag with adpater didn't pinch, but, the balance was off. I shot better with a standard mag and pinky extender with both. With practice that may all even out.

To date I have not experienced a single malfunction (or brass on top of my head) from either of two Steyrs (also an M40A1) that I have fired. 100% reliability. These were both bought new. Now I will check out my used Steyrs, an S9 and M9. I haven't done a lot of shooting lately as I dislike shooting indoors, but have now found a wonderful outdoor range operated by the DNR, so that will change. The M9A1 and M40A1 are both incredible guns. I can only imagine how fine the .357 Sig must be.

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

I guess you've a got a whole day of gun cleaning ?????

3. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

wow Buzz, sounds like a good day at the range.

also sounds like yer shootin pretty darn accurate already. i'm not even in the same ballpark with my Steyr, yet.

thanks for the report

4. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I think the gun is capable of far more than I am. Next time I'll remember my glasses!

Buzz

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Last night I did pistols. I ran out of Powder Blast before I could get to the G3 or AR. Luckily I love cleaning guns.

Buzz

6. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Don't be. I hardly get the time to shoot these days, other than dry firing. I really don't care at all for shooting indoors. The outdoor range is great, but it's a little over an hour each way, so I need at least a half day to get three hours in, which is all that I shot on Saturday. I had things to check out with each of those guns so it wasn't strictly fun time shooting and I couldn't spend a lot of time with any one gun. I had an SW99 (.45) that I didn't even get to. I like a nice leisurely pace being able to sit back and enjoy the beauty of the North Georgia mountains.

Buzz

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

BTW, to me the guy to be jealous of is the guy who can walk right out his front or back door and shoot to his heart's content.

Buzz

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

NRA in 25 minutes and Quantico in 50 minutes is nice, but I'm just hankerin' for some new hardware. :(

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I hear you! I'm now in a mode to stow away magazines and ammo, and get some good optics when I can swing it.

Buzz