RANGE REPORT..OMG!!!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by CWILLIAMS, May 7, 2007.

1. CWILLIAMS

CWILLIAMS Guest

Greetings Brothers and Sisters in Steyr Arms. I finally have a range report. I purchased the pistol from CDNN with the help of our fellow Steyroid Madecov. Took it to the range to hopefully give some cardboard a healthy thrashing... and the weapon did not disappoint. I through 100 rounds of Winchester white box, Walmart had it on sale as a value pack for $20, and the M40 a-1 ate all the rounds up so smoothely. Round after round, clip after clip... no failures at all. It did draw blood though, my own!! There was so little recoil that I got cocky and limp--wristed a round and the slide nicked me just a little. I put a little Rem-oil on it and was alright. Next I put 50 rounds of Federal from Cheaper than dirt, which was JHP 135gr. and from the ad on the net a hold over from a special run for a Law Agency. As usual the Steyr ate it up. The triangle sights took a little getting used to. I Had to place the triangle on the point of impact instead of under as I had always shot before. My groups were about 80% inside the 10 ring, I couldnt miss the whole target if I was trying. At first though I was shooting low and to the right, but I'm left handed... Go figure. Anyway, the recoil was so light that I'm thinking about upgrading to a 357 Sig, never fired one before but with the Steyr in 40 S&W recoil was not present at all. I could shoot all day. Thanks to Madecov for executing the transfer for me without a hitch and only a few miles from me. That's my report, until next time. :p

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Glad to hear you like it and everything went smoothly! I shoot left-handed as well and often find myself shooting just a hair low and to the right - go figure...

3. madecov

madecov Active Member

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Glad to hear its a good OMG!!! rather than a bad OMG!!! :)

5. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Same here, Syn. We ran an entire timed drill off handed (left hand for me) and of course the off hand part of the qualification. I shot shot slightly right where as I normally shoot slightly left, and last night, slightly low. Definitely a trigger control issue for me.

I still haven't mastered ejecting the mag with my left hand. Fumbled that then screwed up and tried to stick the new mag in backwards. Needless to say, I flopped on that part of the drill. I'll get it next time.

Got 215 out of 240 on the qualification. One point better then last time.

6. Seven

Seven Premium Member

Yay!

Excellent report! Welcome to the addiction!! :twisted:

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Qualification for what?

8. CWILLIAMS

CWILLIAMS Guest

Added cheap-po laser

I added a $50 lsser to the rig. darn thing was just a little difficult to calibrate. Got it from cheaper than dirt but havent shot with it et. Will try in the next few days :eek:

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

How does your el-cheapo unit mount, CWILLIAMS? The ones that clamp on to the trigger guard almost never hold a zero. For $50, I assume you got a picatinny setup... If it does work for you, you'll be amazed at how fast you can rattle the center out of your target.

10. CWILLIAMS

CWILLIAMS Guest

It has a picatinny setup, and the darn thing does seem to work very well in the house. The laser is very bright and I can see it clearly across the whole house. The ad in the catalog says that it has been tested to 2200g's but that remains to be seen. I havent had the time to take it to the range just yet, and it doesnt seem I will be able to until the weekend and I hate going to the range on the weekend. The laser is made by aimshot and it came with both a pressure switch and a manual on/off switch but of course I used the pressure. It seems sturdy and it works fine with just pointing and clicking in the house but I need to range test it to put in on zero and to test the resistance to shock. I just refuse to pay outrageous prices for a laser and I'm not in law enforcement. That M6x or whatever costs the same as the gun. By the way, who has a 357sig always in stock for the steyr.

11. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Police handgun qualification course. It has some variations, but the way my instructors teach it, its 48 rounds, six rounds each right hand, left hand, and both hands at 5 yards, at 7 yards six rounds, reload, and another six, six rounds at 10 yards, at 25 yards six rounds standing, six rounds kneeling.

Scoring is 5 points per shot inside the 10 ring, 2 for those inside the 9, -2 for those outside the 9 but within the silhouette and -5 for those outside the silhouette. At least this is to the best of my memory.

This course is run every class and the scores are recorded and average from class to class.

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

No to hijack, but are you becoming a police officer posterboy? or requalifying?

When I bought my M6X, the gun wasn't so cheap :wink:. You new guys are getting a heck of a deal. And IMHO - the M6X is absolutely worth the $325 I paid - YMMV, of course.

I'm almost positive no one has stock on the M357A1. They pop up from time to time, I believe you will have to scour the internet and/or shops to find one. :(

13. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

it's pretty common that defensive shooting classes/leagues use a police style qualification course.

many of the instructors teaching those style of courses are current or ex leo and they like reults based testing.

i've shot a couple of qualifications courses that came with some sort of certificate. some states require a similar qualification test to carry.

14. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

The qualification is a way of measuring progress since scores are recorded and tracked over time.

The instructors run a bunch of drills, some timed, and, as I have said before, teach things like shooting from retention and drawing and transfering the gun to off hand and firing and changing mags off hand. I have certainly improved in the last couple months and feel a lot more confident in my abilities and preparedness.

BTW, Impact Guns lists the M357-A1. It is listed as "out of stock, taking orders." Dunno how fast orders are being filled, though.

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Impact Guns is notorious for taking orders and never delivering on out of stock items. I wouldn't bet on it. :?

16. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Wow, CW sounds like the Steyr bug has bitten you hard.
    Glad you are liking your new pistol. No news on new shipments of M357-A1 Steyr pistols to the USA, so no one is able to restock them at this time. I think Eric still has one left. Expect to pay about $500.

http://www.ericmannadistributing.com/contactus.html

17. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Not surpised about Impact. I ordered two 12rd mags and then got an email that they were on backorder. In the mean time I got 7 10 rounders on eBay for a couple of bucks less then I was going to pay for two 12s from Impact. I sent an email to cancell my order, never got a response, then a while later got an email saying my mags were on the way and they did end up coming, and I am using them, but I don't think I will use Impact again.

18. michaelmew

michaelmew Premium Member

That's who I used to get my M357 back in February. I don't remember how much I paid. $500 seems on the high side though. I would reccomend him. If (when) I decide to get another Steyr he is the first person I'll call to see what he has in stock.

19. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Poster:

Thanks for the heads up on Impact.

20. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

I personally avoid them because their prices usually suck and any of the good sh8t they list is always out of stock, but your mileage may vary.