Range Report New S9-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Goldni, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Goldni

Goldni New Member

I know you forum veterans may get tired of these posts, but I wanted to tell about my first Steyr shooting time today. After driving down to Trussville to buy my new Steyr S9-A1 last week, I finally got down to the range today. After reading all of the wealth of information and posts on this site, I followed good advice first, broke it down, cleaned and oiled it, and also racked the slide about 300- 400 times as to assist break in.

My range ammo was some cheapo Federal 147 grain UMC flat tip leadless. I was concerned because these bullets are also a tad longer than most 9mm ammo I've seen, and with the close tolerances of Steyr pistols, you can see why I was apprehensive.

So how did my new S9-A1 perform?

Flawless.

I'm in love. After the first 3-4 shots I literally said to myself "This is how all guns should shoot. This is the benchmark!"

I shot 100 rounds of the 147g Federal and then 15 more Critical Defense/ Zombie Maxx. The trigger is perfect. The recoil and muzzle flip were very tame and felt less than my Lil Ruger LCP 380 (those things kick like a mule). Brass was twirled fast and kicked out hard at about the 2-3 o'clock position. Two or three bounced off the rim of my cap.

Fwiw, my mfg date is Nov 2011, and it looks like it has the new extractor (bump on outside), so maybe Steyr had solved the extracting problems by then. It also has the pen holes below the sides of the rear sites. I can't remember what Jeff at SAI told me those were there for, but he told me you know it's the newer run gun if the gun has them.

Anyways that is my first Steyr experience, and not my last! I had intended to shoot my Sig P290-RS too, but to be honest, I didn't want to. From now on, it'll be hard to shoot anything else.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. Okie67

Okie67 Member

Congrats on the S9-A1 ! I been looking at those myself,just wish I could buy one local.

3. LaBradford

LaBradford New Member

I go through ammo so much quicker with the Steyr than any other pistol. It is a whole lotta fun !:cool:

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Gold*i :)

Glad ya had such a good time w/ your S9-A1! :thumbsup:

They are indeed, "very sweet". <G>

Ya oughtta try an' S40-A1 or S357-A1 next.

Welcome ta The Club, Bro.

Wulf <-- thinkin' if ya gonna go small frame 9MM, its hard ta beat an S9-A1 :thumbsup:

5. Goldni

Goldni New Member

Guys thanks for the welcome. as I posted in the "bumr" thread, I am going back with a 147 grain bullet after 4 fte's with Blazer Brass 115's.

I do have a question though. The magazine springs are so freaking tight on these mags. Could it be installing softer springs in them would help with all the fte's? I mean, maybe it's that the 'following' bullet is not giving the spent casing time and clearance to extract and therefor eject?

6. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

Once you let the mags sit up for about a week fully loaded they are good to go.

7. Goldni

Goldni New Member

Ok. Thanks. Done!

8. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

FWIW my s9-a1 does not like cheap/weak ammo, before you go crazy about FTEs try shooting quality ammo through your gun.

9. Goldni

Goldni New Member

Thanks. I am well aware I am still in the break in period. I just ordred 500 rounds of some nice Winchester 135g. Can't wait to go shoot!

10. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

Once you get past the initial break-in and you get the swing of the sights the accuracy of the little S9-A1 will put a grin on your face.

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

No, instead you would probably have failures to feed in addition to your preexisting failures to extract.