Range Report - M40-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by randomtard, Mar 4, 2007.

1. randomtard

randomtard Guest

Picked up my M40-A1 on Thursday (finally!) and took it to the range yesterday. I managed to find (3) boxes of the WWB .40 at my local WalMart. As a side note, the WWB was the box w/ styrofoam racks and ran $19.97/box.

I am happy to report that the Steyr performed better than I had expected. I seemed to be hitting about 2 inches above aim, but that is likely due to compensation on my part having shot a S&W SW40V for the past 2 years. Recoil is almost nonexistent, and I found the grip to be very comfortable in both girth and angle.

I had several people approach me to look at my M40-A1. It is a very unique firearm in my parts, with most people assuming the only gun to come from Austria is Glock :) I even let a couple folks shoot a clip through, they were very impressed and both noted they loved the grip. Both of them were Glock owners (19 & 22, respectively).

Just waiting on my extra mags and Streamlight TLR-1 to arrive this week to complete the kit.

I did cut up the 2nd knuckle of my shooting hand thumb on the frame, anyone else do the same?

2. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

Banging the thumb knuckle is a pretty common event for new Steyr shooters. The solution is to turn the gun slightly in your hand so that the grip backstrap nestles firmly into the thumbweb. You should be able to feel a satisfying "set" as the backstrap fits into and the beavertail fits over the soft tissue. When you have the right grip, the beavertail will completely miss the thumb knuckle. As you sight down the slide with your wrist locked and your index finger extended, the barrel will be pointing exactly where your finger is pointing.

I LOVE the feeling of that gun thunking solidly into the thumbweb. Gotta be something weird about that.

Doc

3. randomtard

randomtard Guest

That sounds, uh... intimate ;)

Thanks for the tips though!

4. We should do a good tutorial on grip with pictures at some point.

Good range report.

I don't know why, but I never get tired of reading range reports on the Steyr MA1, SA1, or even the old M and S series.

You selected good ammunition as WWB is a Steyr Club favorite.

Also, thank you for sharing your Steyr with others its a fine pistol with little marketing behind it.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

A number of us have started shooting the Steyr high because of putting the top of the front sight's white triangle at the top of the rear sight's trapezoid, rather than the black tip of the front sight's triangle at the top of the rear trap.