Range Report - M40-A1 - Accuracy issues

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by jwl3715, Feb 16, 2008.

1. jwl3715

jwl3715 New Member

Hey all, just took a buddy of mine with a new XD .40 to an indoor range here in WI (hour drive to closest range from Green Bay :evil: ) so we could each break in our new pistols. I broke mine down and cleaned it per instructions on this site. Fired 50 of WWB and 50 of CCI Blazer at around 25 feet. More muzzle flash with the CCI. Some vertical ejections but no issues with FTF or FTE! :party:

I was, however, all over the place. Groups of 10 ranged from 4-9" with a trend toward low and left. :wall: I take full accountability for poor marksmanship and recognize I need more practice with the trap sights but was surprised at the results. I also shot my XD .45 and SA Uberti 45 LC and was inherently more accurate with both. My buddy also shot my Steyr and grouped better than me but wider than with the three dots on his XD. :think:

So, I need to shoot more but was looking for any feedback you all may have. tgb and kestak both posted sight related questions here today as well and I am interested in responses to each. Not ready to start moving sights around yet but obviously want a pistol I can hit stuff with. Is it just an adjustment to the trap sight picture or should I be worried?

The only other thing I thought of (and I am not making excuses) :v is that I store my ammo in the garage and it has been below zero to 10 above here for the last several weeks. I have no idea if cold ammo could have caused some of the randomness.

I look forward to any input from the group.

John

2. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Well, the tri-trap sights are a combat style sight, so naturally they're gonna forfeit a bit of precision for faster target acquisition! Anyone who has every shot w/ tri-traps has had to adapt, it comes w/ practice. Low or high and left that's most likely a trigger control issue, nothing practice can't fix! Trust me, the Steyr is every bit as accurate as either the XD or Uberti! :wink:
    _______
    mugdava

3. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

I'm training myself to only use the front sight slightly out of focus while focusing completely on the X and have done really well so far.

4. chobee143

chobee143 New Member

Ok everyone, I have a few questions that maybe has been asked and answered. If so, sorry.
    First, I have both a 9mm and a 40. They seem to shoot differently. That is, I seem to be more accurate with the 9 even though I bought the 40 first. Why might this be?
    Second, what is the distance limit for accuracy on these babies? I'm talking for the average shooter with environmental factors aside. Sorry if it's a stupid question.
    And last, is there a way to adjust the sights?

T

PS
    At the indoor range I shoot Independence ammo and outdoor WWB from Wallyworld.

5. jwl3715

jwl3715 New Member

Mugdava/BadAndy - thanks for the responses. I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. I love the Steyr and am committed to making it work. I mentioned the other two guns because that's what I had at the range with me today for comparison. The point I was trying to make was that I've shot extensively with various adjustable and fixed sight handguns and achieved better results. I am sure you are correct about the "adjustment period". I will keep working on it. Any other advice on sight picture, alignment, target acquisition etc appreciated.

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The difference in shooting 9 and 40 is just about assuredly one of recoil, 40 just plain recoils more than 9 and is therefore more difficult to shoot, simple as that. Same with 357 vs. 9.

The only way to adjust the sights would be to drift left or right in the dovetail, but I wouldn't do that until you're absolutely sure correction is needed. Elevation correction? No idea.

I would suggest you use a rest to test your accuracy. If you don't have a bench-type rest, then use a sandbag or whatever you can improvise. That's the only way to be sure whether any sight adjustment is needed. Neither my M357-A1, M9-A1 or the M40-A1 which I owned and swapped, have needed any sight adjustments whatsoever. :mrgreen:

As for accuracy distance, I've shot at 50 yards and 75 yards with no correction needed. How much further do you expect to shoot with a pistol? Maybe with a 'scope out to 100 yards and beyond, but without a 'scope, I'd say 50 or 75 yards is quite far enough. You can plink away at longer distances but it will certainly be hit or miss, mostly miss.

7. jwl3715

jwl3715 New Member

All - my apologies - I just found a ton of good info regarding my questions on the tactics and training thread. No need to respond further. Sorry I had't found this earlier.

8. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

place a coin on the end of yer slide an practice dry firing till it doesn't move.

then when ya get that down, try standing it on its edge :D

9. mndad

mndad Guest

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

How many tries did it take? :shifty: :p

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

WOW!!!!

You must have on helluva arm to throw that K-Frame so far.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

12. mndad

mndad Guest

1 lb trigger and its a gun I have shot for about 18 years so kinda know it - its my dads wad cutter special
    After about 20 rounds I bet most on this board without meth addictions could ring it 4 out of 6 times on a sand bag of course.

13. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

:lol: Aww shit now I have strawberry chunks all over my screen!!!!!!!!

14. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

HAHA!!! jokes on me! coffee on my keyboard again!!