Range report, GSI M40

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by malco, May 2, 2007.

1. malco

malco Guest

Howdy--
    Finally made it to the range with the 9xxx SN M40 I posted on previously. I shot 40 rounds each of 180 gr. WWB JHP and FMJ, using the NRA slow-fire 25 yard pistol target. Both bullet types seemed to generally shoot six to eight inches low at 25 yards, both offhand and rested. I never did get much of a group, but I'm admittedly pretty rusty at handgun shooting. I used three different 10-rd. mags, and had persistent FTFs with the JHP ammo in one of them--the other two appeared to function fine. I've since cleaned the gun per the Steyrclub tutorial, which immediately improved the gun's trigger pull (I'm much more accustomed to shooting rifles with set triggers and bird guns with 3.5 lb. pulls, so the Steyr's striker-type mechanism naturally feels pretty spongy anyway). I also cleaned the finicky mag and picked up a box of 165 gr. FMJ bullets to see if a lighter weight doesn't pull up the point of impact. I'll report soon--any advice or opinion would be welcome.
    Best,
    Malco

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

You might want to shoot at a closer range, like 15 yards to get a more precise sight picture for diagnosing your POA/POI etc.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I agree with SELFDEFENSE. That's pretty far out for a handgun - especially one you have never shot before.

4. malco

malco Guest

Point taken. Unfortunately the closest range to my house caters more to rifle shooters, and the nearest target board available was 25 yards. Next time I'll either shoot elsewhere or take my own target stand. Thanks for responding--I'll report again soon.