Range report for new M9A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by bmitchell, Jul 31, 2007.

1. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

Well, I don't have any photos because I was mostly using paper plates and some old targets my dad printed out about a million years ago.
    This pistol (especially after being accustomed to the AMT Hardballer) is SWEET and SMOOTH like a good beer ought to be.
    I put somewhere around seven mags (115 rounds if I calculated actual spent ammo correctly) through it with a total of zero malfunctions of any kind.
    I only felt brass once and I had a cap on so it was irrelevant.
    As far as accuracy goes, it is hard to tell what I'm doing. I could consistently hit a paper plate at a little over seven yards. With my father's Witness knockoff I can hit a Pepsi can fairly consistently at ten, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I'm not sure I'm used to the traps yet , or maybe I'm just too hasty to fire again and again and again, though without a real target it is difficult to say.
    I was firing 115gr ball cheapos, some of my roommate's 9mm-in-a-bag and some PMC Bronze. I popped it open to clean when I got home and noticed that there was almost no fouling and Hoppes 9 only showed a small amount of green in the barrel and chamber.
    Of course I got some Hoppes 9 in my eye when I snapped the slide release back into position after oiling the other parts. Like Chipotle Tabasco without the flavor.

This is by far the most amazing any of my pistols have ever done - even the Jennings will FTE occasionally on some cheapo .22 rounds.
    I will be going back to the range on Thursday with some respectable targets and (hopefully) a lot more ammo.
    That is all.

Ben

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sounds like you're set 8).

Give the traps some time, but if they don't work out I would (and did) swap them out for a set of PT night sights - you can pick your flavor. At last check, they were $69ish installed + shipping for slide to them (they pay to return). The "discount" code we were using was "69steyr" - not sure if that is still valid.

I suspect that once you adapt to the sights and trigger you will be slaying pepsi cans with no problems further out than 10 yards. :) Keep us posted!

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats. No malfs is always good.
    You might want to shoot from a resting position to see that there is no inherent misalignment in your gun's sights.

4. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

I'll try that. I've got about 300 rounds to put through it tomorrow night, this time with some respectable targets.

We'll see how it goes compared to the Hardballer, which jams and has no front sight (it has detached itself twice while firing). I've done some work to the extractor, so we'll see if I can cycle a whole mag of my dad's reloads. It tends to bite into my hand a lot more just on holding it than the Steyr, while firing it more than 20 or so times can start to be a pain.

The M9A1's trigger is great but I jerk it a lot, not to mention that my hands have never been too steady. I'm working on that.

That is all.

Ben

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Ben :)

Put some time in with the tri-traps. You'll come 'round. My best "Indian Trick" w/ 'em was ta throw out a soda can and start dancin' it away out to as far away as I could make it happen. I learned to spend less time "alignin'" the traps and more time lettin' go and lettin' the tri-traps do what they were designed to do..."quick target aquisition and instinctual alignment". It took a bit, but now, I can kill the Hell outta soda cans. Ya gotta feel the force, Ben. ;) Also, takin' a 6:00 sight pic helps w/ some ammo. Don't take yourself too seriously with the Corona bottle cap at 15 yds accuracy, yet. Practice may not make perfect, but it can maka difference. Does for me. <shrug> Mostly, have fun and be safe. :)

Wulf

6. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

I am not going to give up on the traps. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to fire at anything but paper targets; that's the price I willingly pay for free use of a nice range. We'll see tomorrow what goes where when I do what I do. I'm not too concerned about pintpointing as I am hitting what I'm looking at. Hopefully I can make the bullets go through the paper where I want.

That is all.

Ben

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i learned pretty early on from my dad that if you can consistently put holes in a nine inch paper plate, you can consistently make anything you want dead.

the part where you put 5 shots in a dime is actually quite silly and useless in a self-defense scenario.

if you already put a bullet in one place, stick a bullet somewhere else!!