Racking the slide - How difficult?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by bhtkevin, Jan 25, 2008.

1. bhtkevin

bhtkevin Guest

I want to buy a Steyr here soon but I want my girlfriend to be able to shoot it without me if she wants. How difficult is it to rack the slide on a M9-A1? She can rack the Ruger P89 we shoot with, but its not easy :) Of course she will get a better technique and muscle as she shoots more, but at first I want something she doesnt have to strugle too much with.

2. mrboma

mrboma Member

I own the M9-A1 and my wife loves it. She has issues with racking the slide on my 1911 - but no problems with the Steyr. I have introduced many women to handgun shooting over the years and I would have to say that the Steyr has been the most loved pistol for new shooters. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Mike

3. Fireof59

Fireof59 New Member

My wife shot my M40-A1 several times and liked it more than the 9's she tried. We bought her an M9-A1 and she shoots it pretty regularly. She has no issues with the slide from the M40 or M9. She likes the M9 better than any 9mm she has tried...

4. nuj

nuj New Member

hello,
    i owned a 1st gen. M40 that i sold to friend and when you racked the slide its as if it doest wanna to be racked. you have to put some muscle into it. but, my new M9A1 is just ok. maybe its due to the fact that a 40 caliber handgun has a much heavier slide and stronger spring to counteract the recoil of the 40 round rather than a 9mm which is more forgiving

5. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

They all use the SAME recoil spring.....

:| :|

6. nuj

nuj New Member

i don't think so, the 1st generation recoil spring is a bit stiff specially on the 40.

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Call SAI and ask them yourself.....

..I did, to order extras, and they had only one part number....

8. nuj

nuj New Member

maybe mine is a lemon :doh: , coz these were the first 40 pcs and only batch imported to the philippines when the 1st generation of steyr m40 came out of austria. heck, it doesn't matter if its stiff as a board as long as it feeds and fires, i'm a happy shooter :party:

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Babj is definitely right - all of the Steyr pistols use (and always have used) the same recoil spring....

10. nuj

nuj New Member

thanks guys, anyway it doesn,t matter much anymore coz i sold it long time ago, now using the new M9-A1.

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

That's not a lemon, just a soft recoil spring.....no worries.......as long as it shoots....and feels good..... :party:

12. nuj

nuj New Member

hi shooter,
    the lemon is the M40 coz of the super stiff recoil spring, its much harder when racking a fully loaded 12 rds magazine. anyways, its ok, now i'm enjoying my M9A1. no malfunction what so ever, crappy trigger that i can live with but most of all IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!! :D