Rackin' frackin' stankin' grumble

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ThaiBoxer, Oct 2, 2007.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Got my M40 slide back. It was being refinished by a guy who is making a name for himself in the gun biz. I'll write it up shortly. It looks great.

The extractor seemed a bit tight so I pulled it out, realigned the old style plunger pin, fiddled it in and SPROING! The pin took off into another dimension. This was in my garage work area, which is full of stuff, dirty, lots of open containers, angles, etc...

Spent about 2 hours sweeping, moving stuff, flashlight, the whole deal. I'm hoping mostr of you have been through this before....

Just before I quit, I found a spring and pin for the back slide plate from my other Steyr that I lost about 8 months ago and never found.... :evil:

Wish me luck that SAI will have a spare for me. It's sooo much easier to find stuff when working at the kitchen table.

Ben

2. tlrpunk

tlrpunk New Member

LOL been there more times than I like to admit! Talk about frustrating.

3. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

4. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Hey I don't feel so bad now :mrgreen:

See last night I was trying to take my pistol apart for the 2nd time and well the little thingy with the little springy went flying across the room :shock:
    Now for the technical part the thingy = part #23 and springy = part #24

I did manage to find them with the aid of a flashlight.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I lost my plunger and spring a few months after getting my M9A1. SAI had me fixed up and ready to go in no time.

6. amonkey

amonkey New Member

Me Too!!

Yeah, this just happened to me a couple of nights ago. I was going to mention it but felt too stupid as I MUST be the only one this happened to!
    I was putting in a 1911 spring for the extractor fix and fortunately the only thing I lost is the 1911 spring.
    The annoying thing is that my floor and surroundings were bare with only a table and two chairs. Thought sure I would have found it.
    NOPE
    Thanks to the Steyroids for making me feel not so alone!!

7. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Re: Me Too!!

You are never alone :mrgreen:

8. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

next time find a nice big gallon size plastic bag or shopping bag to work in not real fun but beats losing a spring bouncing who knows where also find a nice big magnet on a stick to sweep area for the spring.

been there done that went manic looking for it and found it.

9. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I was wishing I'd used the bag during the time I was swinging my floor magnet over every dustpile, corner and cranny. But noooo...it's too easy so I don't need the bag... :oops: :roll:

10. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Never build an AR-15 in the garage....LOL

Talk about pain.

11. 1224bret

1224bret Guest

Last time I disassembled mine the spring and pin went flying around the room bouncing off the walls I thought I would never find it just before I quit looking for it I noticed my girlfriends cat swating at somthing on the floor and there it was :lol:

12. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

:lol: Thai Boxer, is your avatar real?? When I get another 1911, I am SOOOOOO doing that, that is freaking awesome!!

On a more related note, I shot my extractor spring across my living room the first time I tried to clean out the port. Just like you, I made one tiny little wrong move with the screw driver and SPROING off it went. I had to pull out the entertainment center which involved taking the TV out of it and all the DVD's, and then dig by hand through the lint and dust and carpet fuzz balls behind there. Was about 20 minutes before I found it. Quite annoying, to say the least.

13. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i remember the first time i pulled the sub-frame from the grip...

i was looking right at the key lock as it hit me square in the eye.

i couldn't even look for it cause my eye was tearing up something fierce.