Quick range report: M40 vs. SIG 229

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by some_finn, May 10, 2007.

1. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Not fair! I hear you protest.

True, it's a bit apples and oranges, taking into account for example the price difference.
    On the other hand, they are very exactly the same size and the caliber is same.
    Hopefully this is at least in some regards more interesting than a comparison to let's say the obvious Glock.

Amusing little detail: both guns come in the same exact case. The only difference is that the Steyr cheapskates have had the logo printed (a bit slanted) on the case, while the SIG logo is molded into the lid. (And the foam inside is cut differently, of course).

[​IMG]

Well, as I wrote the pistols are very much the same size, both with 4" barrels.
    The Steyr has a "plastic" frame while the SIG's is aluminum, making the SIG 4-5 oz heavier, but still much lighter than a steel frame gun would be.

The SIG fills my hand (borderline L/XL) better than the Steyr, and while shooting them alternatively the Steyr's humpback grip started to irritate me more than ever before.

The Steyr is quite a well-made pistol but I have to say the SIG does "ooze" quality. It just looks and feels somehow "right" and imbues confidence. Kind of like my STI Trojan, which admittedly is also in a different price range compared to the Steyr. But my point is that I feel one gets something for the extra money, even if maybe a little intangible.
    Also now I realize how butt-ugly the Steyr really is :shock: Strange, I recall thinking earlier it looked quite nice. Well, it still does, compared to a Glock.

[​IMG]

The SIG has a traditional double action trigger system with a decocker and can't be carried cocked and locked. At the range that is no issue of course.
    The SIG has the best single action trigger I've ever experienced in a double action pistol. It's quite comparable to a good 1911 trigger, perfectly crisp and definately no more than the factory specified 4 lbs. Any lighter than this would be kind of scary in what I believe is meant to be a carry/duty gun.
    The double action trigger pull is pretty short and not too stiff, and feels that it would be very controllable with some practise.
    The Steyr's trigger pull is pretty nice and crisp compared to the Glocks I've tried but very stiff compared to the SIG's single action trigger.

The difference in felt recoil was a big shock. I shot my reloads (170gr @ 1000 fps) and in the SIG they felt like very mild plinking loads, extremely pleasant to shoot. By comparison in the Steyr the recoil from the same ammo felt quite sharp and nasty. I suppose the material/weight difference in the frame accounts for this.
    In the end there is little difference in actual controllability, but the SIG felt much more comfortable to shoot.
    Even though I shot the SIG for the first time, and have shot the M40 quite a lot, the SIG felt much easier to shoot well consistently.

During the time I've had the M40 I've grown more critical of the sights. It feels it's more difficult to get a consistent sight picture with them than the "regular" sights all my other pistols have. The SIGs well-defined traditional sights are quite nice.

In actual mechanical accuracy there probably is little difference, but with the SIG's trigger and sights it's easier to take advantage of.

So, my final verdict: Both pistols will get the job done well, but with the SIG you'll feel better doing it :D

Steyr M40:
    + lighter (if carried)
    - trigger
    - felt recoil

SIG Sauer P229:
    + trigger
    + quality feel
    - DA for first round (if carried)
    - weight (if carried)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I would like a P229 DAK to run my own comparison with!

When I was searching for a .40 the P229 SAS was on my short list. The price, teamed with the cost of mags led me to the Steyr. Additionally, I liked the feel of the M40-A1 better.

Someday, I will have a P229 DAK.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Good review and great pics, as usual! :D

I'm in your boat on the looks thing - original M vs. 229 is no contest :lol:. An M-A1, on the other hand... I think they're beautiful. :twisted:

I agree that the weight difference is probably largely responsible for the difference in perceived recoil, and I think you were spot on about traditional sights vs. traps. To each his own, I suppose. Thanks for talking the time to put that together for us!

4. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Congratulations, looks as if youv'e got a really nice one.

A well equipped buddy had a couple of 229s and strongly considered buying one of his because it is so easy to swap in a .357 barrel. Unfortunately, had trouble adjusting to the trigger on his guns, had gotten used to the squeeze bang triggers on the HKs and discovered the same technique would not work on his 229s and they required a lot more finesse to shoot accurately. I think they were older da/sa models. Really liked some of his other Sigs - his german made 228 was great and the tactical was in a class by itself.

For me, the search for the ultimate .357 Sig ended with the Steyr M-A1.

Thanks for the range report, hope they both serve you well.

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Interesting, I found it the opposite.......Steyr +trigger, +recoil, +CCW, -sights.... 229 -trigger, -recoil, -CCW, +sights (barely, two spot Euro).........but I have to qualify that I had a Hogue Universal rubber overgrip which helps 100%...... I think not having one would have bumped the results toward the Sig
    ..........but I'm not sure how far..... :wink:

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It just dawned on me - has anyone else every gotten a Sig in that case? All I've ever seen here in the states are the blue (new), red (cpo), and green (mauser) Sig cases....

Is it just a Euro thing? I've always preferred the Steyr's case over any of my other pistols. 8)

7. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Probably... Wouldn't make much sense to ship cases made in Europe to the States, I'd think.
    On the other hand, the Steyr pistols sold here have magazines made in USA :shock:
    My M40 mags read "GSI, Trussville, AL" (and more amusingly the LE/Gov't use/Export text too :) )

I may have been lucky with my SIG's trigger, for example a friend has a P220 which doesn't have nearly as nice a trigger.

8. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

My Sig P226R came in the blue Sig plastic case. Sometime back I did a M357-A1 vs Sig P226R trial, and I gave the Sig +sights & +trigger. While The Steyr took +recoil & +CCW. My P226R has the most awesome trigger You could imagine in a non-1911 pistol and the sight picture is superb! The M357-A1 handled recoil better and is easier to conceal. My trial was conducted in 357sig! :twisted:

[​IMG]
    _______
    mugdava

9. bigbob68

bigbob68 Guest

I can't wait to get my 2nd Sig, just not sure which one. I have the 232 and would like to get the 229 or the 239 in 9mm and not sure about the DAK or the "new" DA/SA trigger w/ the shorter reset.

Nice Sig!

10. Dag

Dag Guest

Sig vs Steyr

Hi some_finn - It's interesting how different shooters percieve the same gun. You mentioned you like the way the Sig fits your hand (you apparently have a large hand). I have small hands, and really like the way my M40-A1 feels. My friend has several Sigs, and they just feel a little "fat" in my hands. I also "love" the trap sights. You also like the DA/SA trigger. I sometimes have trouble with the first shot, particularly weak handed. Not so with the Steyr or my XD. A lighter, consistent pull works better for me. Now a Sig P220 DAK might be a different story. I've not had the chance to shoot a DAK yet, but the articles I read speak highley of the system. Right now, pistol shooters have so many great guns to choose from, it's almost embarrassing. Not that I'm complaining! :D Thanks for some great photos, and good shooting to you!

Dag

11. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Interesting comparisons. I agree that the Sig SA trigger beats any "safe action" trigger but, unless I'm shooting bullseye-style I don't much notice/care. Perceived recoil is soooo hard to nail down. The pointy part of the "hump" on the M40 irritated me too, until I shaved some of it off and blended the transition more. The A1 resolves this and a few other things rather nicely, to my hand anyway. The Sig 220 I shot recently felt pretty darn good in the hand, kind of 1911-ish. It was a nice piece. I'm totally satisfied with a 1911, 2 Steyr .40s and a Kahr .40, so I doubt I'll ever buy one.

I'm undecided about the sights. Logically, they seem a better approach with the small point to define POA, but I don't see any consistent difference in practical accuracy between my M40 with PTs and my factory M40A1.

But what I really wanted to say was in the uber-important arena of looks: :roll:

When it comes to looks between a Steyr and a Sig, they are both pigs, but the Steyr is at least smooth and sleek-looking, while the Sig has all the lines of a maillbox with too many levers screwed onto it. :shock:

All in fun,
    Ben

12. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Hard to argue with choosing a Sig. Although I like the looks of the M a lot better.

13. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

I'll be the first to love on my Steyrs, but goddamn if this isn't sexy:

[​IMG]

:twisted:

One day... one day.

14. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Some gold-tone grip screws and maybe neon around the trigger-guard and you'll be all the shizzle fo' sho'.

:D

15. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

The SAS grip has always felt odd-fitting and slippery to me.

16. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

:lol: I was thinking the same thing! Some X5 goodness on the other hand... :twisted:

17. some_finn

some_finn Guest

I really like duotone finishes, but a wood grip in addition is too much I think. Kind of makes it tritone and sort of "busy".

18. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

My dealer has had a P220 SAS sitting in his store (and gun show tables) for months. The thing will just not sell. Its like butter, though! Love the grip, love the trigger, love it love it love it.

I just can't afford it right now and I don't "need" it.