Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are y'all doing? I recently visited my local gunshop and found what I think is a good price on a Steyr M, 9mm. As a Glock guy, I have always been interested in the "other" Austrian pistol, but had never gotten the chance to see one in person. Obviously, that all changed the other day.

I was blown away by the first impressions when handling it. So, only having about $100 on me, I put it on layaway. I was under the impression that it was one of the more modern models, but when I went back the next day to look at it some more, I noticed that it was the original Steyr M model pistol. Not the M-A1 or M9 or anything of the sort.

This left me with several questions I have yet to find the answers to. My first question is, are the magazines made for the newer models compatible with the older model? Also, is it common to have 10 round magazines for it? It only comes with one, and it seems as if the mag has been plugged to only allow for 10 rounds. Will 15 or 17 rounds work with this older model? Also, are part interchangeable? I really like the gun but am having second thoughts if I won't be able to find any parts for it. Lastly, what are these worth? It looks to be in pretty good condition.

What do you guys think? I have uploaded a photo representing the model that I'm considering buying. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ahead of time, and if you need anymore info I will try my best to supply it.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey, welcome to Steyr-land.
The gun you are looking at is a 1st generation M9. I am fairly new to Steyrs myself having picked up a Gen 4 L9 a few months ago. As far as I know these early guns use the same magazines and internals as later gen guns. There was an update to the extractor on these early guns and I think Steyr customer service still provides these to owners of older guns. I think the main drawback to the gen one frames is the lack of a rail if that is something you need. There were rail adapters made, but they are very hard to find. I'm sure others here can help with your questions.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Snatch it up !
Yes the mags work. Sometimes the extractor can have a issue but its a easy fix, sometimes they work fine with old extractor, you will just have to test it out. In my opinion there a little nicer than the m9 a1 thats being made today were they are cutting corners. My gen 1 is a great shooter and a beautiful pistol definitely noticeably higher grade of fit and finish. Id say about 350-400$, 400 if in really good unfired-test fired condition to 350 if more used. You shouldn't regret it. I look for them now. If i see gen 1s at a reasonable price i buy it. You can get a new one anytime

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses, they are asking $350 which seems like a good deal to me. Very happy to know that it is compatible with the newer model magazines. The rail isn't really an issue for me as I haven't gotten into adding lights/lasers onto my pistols yet.

I guess my only remaining questions are what are good iwb holsters for it, and is it easy to find and purchase replacement parts?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jnaq91
Try Stoner Holsters for an IWB holster, be sure and get the steel reinforcement option. I think it's their #515 model. I like mine and use it daily for the last 2 yrs.
Thanks for the heads up, upon looking at the holster I am wondering if it is a good option for appendix iwb carry?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took it out to the range today, and was impressed overall. It was very easy to shoot, and after getting used to the sights, was more than accurate enough for me. The trigger reset was amazing, and the trigger pull was extremely smooth compared to my Glock. I love the grip but it took some getting used to as well.

With that being said I did run into a few problems. I had 3 double feed malfunctions. I noticed they would occur around the 3rd or 4th shot, every other magazine. Having only one magazine, I'm not sure if it is a mag problem, an ammunition problem, or something else. This didn't occur when I used a different ammunition (Perfecta 9mm FMJ). The other problem I encountered was erratic ejection. I'd say about 70-80% of the shell casings ejected as they should, but the other 20-30% were all over the place. One ended up striking my forehead.

Overall I am satisfied with the purchase, and will continue to shoot and try to troubleshoot these problems.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Run a few box's more threw should smooth out a little. Mine did the same at 1st. With my reloads mixed headstamp brass. But is working fine now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts