Questions About a M40

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by DDSheffield, Oct 31, 2007.

1. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

Just got a M40 used and new to handguns. 2 Issues. 1) Jams 5 or 6 times out of 50 rounds. 2) its blowing out the brass on some of the rounds. I have taken the insturctions in here to clean the extractor but havent had time to use it since then. Hope that will work, but what cause the blow out on the brass?

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

1) What kind of ammo are you using?
    2) Has the extractor/plunger been upgraded already?
    3) What do you mean by "blowing out"? Cracked cases?

Welcome aboard! 8)

3. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

The first 50 that I put through were Blazer brass. The person at the range I was at put a few federals through it.
    I dont know about the extractor/plunger.
    Cracking and expanding in the the case.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I thought for sure you were going to say reloads - the only time I've seen cracked cases was with another member (I can't recall if it was .40 or .357) who was re-using his brass too much. Blazer brass has been 100% for me and we hear few complaints. I'm betting you have the old extractor and plunger design, which is probably causing most of your troubles. I would give Steyr Arms, Inc. a call and explain your problems - I'm sure they'll take a look at it and have your pistol good-to-go in a week or two.

Perhaps another member will be able to share some insight, but this doesn't sound (to me) like a problem with an easy answer - sorry :(

5. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

Nope dont reload... Still new at all this stuff anyway and thats advanced. Thanks for your help. I am in contact with Steyr

6. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

Did both the federal and blazer brass crack? If it was just one maybe a bad batch of ammo, but this is not normal and should not happen. I have over 2000 rounds through my m40, and have never had a case failure mostly WWB, UMC, and I just found the blazer brass at Wally world for super cheap, so thats probably what I'll be using mostly now. I try to shoot once a week-70-120 rounds.

7. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

I've done some really messed up stuff in my day...
    Are you sure you're not firing nines in there?

8. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

Just the american's cracked as far as I Know. I went through and cleaned the gun really good and I am hoping that that is all the problem was. When I got it I thought that it was checked by the place that I bought it used, but I could be wrong. Monday I plan on putting another 50 through it so we will see if things have gotten better. I am very picky about my stuff so I make sure everything is correct for my guns. Thanks for your guys help. I will let you know how things go after the next 50.

9. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

Didn't mean to say anything sour, I just know it's not too difficult to switch things around accidentally. I've heard very crazy stories about Beretta owners having accidentally fired mags of the wrong ammo.
    How does your chamber look?

10. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Is this a serious reply? I have tried to force 9's in my mag to no avail. I can't imagine how you would make it work. Let me know so I can delete this follow-up.

I also would send it in to SAI (per Syn's request). Oh yeah. Good choice for the caliber. 40 rocks and .357 is well.... :twisted:
    (Had to do it :D )
    MTS

11. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

I don't know if it is possible in Steyrs, but I have heard a lot of stuff about Beretta pistols having fired many different ammo types.
    I've never done it myself, but I wouldn't be too surprised if I did had I any rounds similar enough. I think the story I heard involved a Beretta 92 and 96 having their mags swapped.

Anyway, it was really just a thought. I didn't seriously think that it was the problem here.

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

:lol:

It can be done, but one would expect 100% FTE's and the sound would be just plain weird - all but the most-dense shooter would realize something was wrong. I'm sure that wasn't DDSheffield's problem... Try it out with some CCI or something and report back? I would send it off to SAI anyway for a checkup and to make sure I had the latest and greatest extractor/plunger design (and to make sure your pistol doesn't have the original 8 lb. trigger group).

13. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

Apparently wrong ammo firing is also possible in Glocks - my roommate regulars the Beretta forums and he pointed me to a guy who had fired a very diverse range of ammo from the same gun.

In any case, this is off topic so I'm going to shut up.

14. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

Just got back from the range and put another 50 of american eagle through the gun. 2 out of the 50 jammed, but every casing that I could find had markings on the case and look expanded but not cracked. Last week I went through and cleaned everything that I could and I think that helped the extractor, but its still jamming. Is it worth sending back to SAI for a check up?

15. cyberiad

cyberiad Guest

Can you post pics of the expanded cases?

16. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

Have the Pic's,but Dont know how to add!!

17. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

How to upload and display photos on SteyrClub

Open post window, click "Browse" button below post window just below "Image Shack File Upload", navigate on your computer to photos, select photo and click "host it!" Repeat for as many photos as desired.

Once photos are uploaded, copy url of each photo from photo page on ImageShack.

Paste url into post window. Highlight entire url, click "Img" button at top of post window. Viola, there it is!

Click "Preview" to make sure you didn't put a space before or after the image url and the open and close img tags.

If you do it right, the images will show up in the preview window. Click "Submit" and you're done. :mrgreen:

P.S. to Admin: Maybe this oughta be a sticky somewhere. This question seems to come up a lot.

18. DDSheffield

DDSheffield New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

Heres the attatchment.

19. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I had one get hung in my .45 :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

:shock: :shock: I'm glad that one did not go bang!!!!

20. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

If this was to happen in my 1911 I would have to say the extractor needed to be tuned.
    It seems that the extractor is holding on to long and allows the brass to hit the slide. Look for brass marks on the port.

http://www.trippresearch.com/media/move ... teway.html

watch the whole thing...