Question on the 1000 grit sand paper for trigger tuneup

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by kraigster414, Nov 30, 2007.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Instead of 1000 grit paper to polish, would not 600 grit ultra fine waterproof paper work? I just happen to have on hand 600 but I'll pick up some 1000 grit if it really makes a difference. Is 1000 grit usually found in an auto parts store, hardware store or both? Thanks.

2. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I think that BT suggestion of 1000 was mainly so we wouldn't fubar the trigger by gettin sand happy, which I think is really a good idea to stick with even if you know what you are doing.

I got my pack of 1000 grit for 3.99 from pep boys....

3. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Thanks Chilly. I'll pick some up tomorrow. How are Manny, Moe and Jack by the way?

4. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I use 3M 30 micron lapping paper...

5. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Actually I think manny moe and jack are getting alot better....just to survive they have had to improve quality, lower prices and increase the level of service...they are still a little more expensive than the rest but I myself am willing to spend a little more for better service which is what I feel I get from them over the others (mainly because of the employees at my locals).

Back on topic, I used 1000 at first and upped it to 2000 but I found that I had to scuff everything with the 1000 again because the 2000 did way too much smoothing creating what felt like more friction....I used to lap computer heat sinks and cpu to create a better mating surface (flatter and less pits-talking under a microscope here) for better heat transfer because I used to run the CPU's way beyond spec (overclocking) but in this case less is better.