Question about suppressors

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Syntax360, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

I live in Texas and I was wondering...
    If one had a CHL and had gone through the legal hoops of obtaining a can for one of their weapons, could they legally carry it with that weapon? I would imagine the answer is yes, but perhaps someone can shed some more light on this?

2. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

I concur with that!

If you shoot someone in "self-defense" with a suppressed weapon its not going to look too good. Besides you want that loud bang so that folks can call the cops.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

You mean carry it attached to the weapon, or carry it in some sort of holder ? Attached, as well as being hard to conceal, drawing an extra 6 to 9" from a holster or (forgive me) from your pants is at best unwieldy. Un-attached ? Even the speccy oppest of spec ops with the quickest mounting system would have a hard time sticking it on in a useful amount of time in a self defence situation. For home defence I think having a suppressor is a brilliant idea, and as soon as I can afford it I'm going to bung one on my 1911.. (oh the joy of living in Oregon)

4. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Yeah, I agree for home defense a suppressor is great and I think they are wise if you live in an area that allows you to shot in your back-yard. You can save your hearing and yourself from a nusiance law suit by your neighbors for disrupting their quiet use and enjoyment of their property.

Shooting someone in your home though is more a case of malium per-se in that the malice is evident. A self-defense shooting on the street is more a case of he said and he can't say because he is laying on the ground dead or bleeding in the hospital. Johnny Cash once sang "leave guns at home son, don't take your guns to town..." I think that guns in that song should be substituted for suppressor. :D

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Of course I didn't mean mounted on the weapon. I was just wondering about the legal aspects.
    But (trying not to sound mall-ninjaish) I figure if you were in a public situation and needed to use your ccw, attachment time aside, I would think it could possibly save you some of the grief of deafening everyone in the immediate area temporarily and would make any follow up shots easier for the shooter. Ya, I know that's insanely impractical, but I'd never seen the question asked before.

6. Matches

Matches New Member

Leave the silencer at home. You are going to lose valueable response time readying the weapon, weather it is just thinking about puting it on or actually having to draw your weapon with it on. Secondly it is only going to provide more legal trouble after any incidents. Leave the can at home.

Matches