Question about selling

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by YellowPerchMan, Apr 14, 2013.

1. YellowPerchMan

YellowPerchMan New Member

I have already submitted ads for 2 handguns (Glock 27 and Springfield 1911) in a local classified publication. When you guys sell, do you meet at a neutral location or do you have them come to your house?

Also, on bills of sale, do you include your name and address?

If you haven't already deciphered, I'm a little wary of meeting someone and knowing where I live. Seems to me gun owners would be ripe for burglaries.

Please advise of any tips. My previous sales where at a gun show in which I knew the people buying anyways personally so this stuff wasn't a concern.

2. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

Greetings...And some frank advice. I would never sell any gun to a stranger unless there was a mechanism within your state to run that person's name through some sort of background check. The potential problems are not worth the income advantage. We do have that ability in Oregon. It costs the same $10 that it would cost if a gunstore was selling the item. Some gunstores, and private FFL holders, also offer that service. You may want to check in your area. Then you have the luxury of conducting the sale at that location. I would never sell a gun to a stranger at my home.

You might also consider selling through a website like GunBroker.com, which will charge a fee, but you will send that sold firearm to the buyer's gun store - which will then conduct the appropriate background check.

And the disclaimer. I am no expert in this area, but am freely offering common-sense advice. Also, please check with your state and local laws covering firearm transactions. I am perhaps a bit cautious, especially in this area. At age 60, I have been burgarized once, and robbed at knifepoint. Don't learn an important lesson the hard way.

Good Luck!

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Many a firearm have been bought and sold in Walmart parking lots - public and easy to locate. Discretion is of course required - you don't want some yahoo waving your firearm around where others can easily observe and misinterpret what may be going on. State laws will dictate what is required for the sale. Any paperwork beyond state requirements is completely up to you - I'm a big fan of keeping things to an absolute minimum. If you're real nervous about it (you shouldn't be if you are following all state and local laws), perhaps only sell to a buyer with a conceal/carry license (assuming your state has that) - this will at least give you the peace of mind of knowing you are selling to a person who has already passed a background check and most probably is an upstanding citizen.

4. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

Good advice, selling to a CHL holder. At least they have been "backgrounded." And if you do sell to a private citizen - ensure that you write the date, {and time!} the transaction takes place on your bill of sale. This will remove most of your liability if something "goes south" after that date/time.

Paranoia? Look, I am not an attorney, but have had some legal training (military). And I pay attention to legal news; crime events; etc. You can sell your firearm to someone who appears safe to you - then have that come back on you in a real nasty way. If you do not have some solid way (paperwork) to prove that you no longer own the gun that was say; just used to murder someone - you are going to spend more time than you want to discussing this with law enforcement.

So. We all can do as we please - "Big Boy Rules" - in this free society. Just use some sense if you are contemplating selling a deadly weapon to a stranger. Cheers.