Question about POI with USASteyr.com Night Sights

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Guest, May 22, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Anyone out there have the night sights from USASteyr.com? If so, where do they shoot at 10, 15 and 25 yards?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to get an M9 for my wife who is going to start shooting IDPA and she doesn't get along with the tri-trap sights. I would actually prefer adjustable sights to dial in for the competition load she will be shooting, so I would be curious if the night sights are fairly well regulated.

Does anyone know of any other readily-available replacement sights for the Steyr?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

I have used only the Steyr night sights on my pistols since 2002. At 10, 15, and 25 yards, the shoot where I aim.

3. jnclement

jnclement New Member

Same here, I never got the trap sights to work either. With the night sights, if you do a 6 o'clock hold, you'll shoot the bottom of the target. I shot off a rest Saturday, and put 10 shots in a 4" circle, holding dead on the center. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the PT night sights instead of the Steyr. http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Products/PTSights/ptsights.html

4. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

I have had the Steyr three-post tritium Night Sights (hereinafter NS) from SteyrUSA installed on my M-40 pistol for exactly twenty-one weeks. Since the installation of my NS I have taken my M-40 to an indoor range a total of twelve times and fired 1,200 rounds of Full Metal Jacketed 165 gram ammunition.

With the sights I always follow the three fundamentals of pistol marksmanship by aiming, exercising trigger control, and controlling my breathing. Below I have prepared a basic tutorial on aiming with the three-post NS. I understand that many on here already know this information, but I'm just trying to help those who may not be familiar with traditional three-post sights.

AIMING WITH STEYRUSA NS

Maintaining the correct relationship between the pistol sights is essential for accurate target engagement. Due to the short distance between the pistol's rear and front sight, a small error in their alignment causes a considerable error in target accuracy.

SIGHT ALINGMENT:

Sight alingment is the relationship between the front and the rear sight with respect to the aiming eye. Correct sight alignment is the front sight centered in the sight notch with the top edge of the front sight level with the top edge of the rear sight. There should be equal space on either side of the front sight in relation to the rear sight.

PROPER GRIP:

Due to the complex nature of human muscle fibers a pistol is always in constant motion. The ideal is to accept this movement and achieve proper sight alignment at the time when the shot breaks. Fortunatly, the Steyr M-series has a natural point alingment that helps improve this. The Steyr M-series grip has a 111 degree angle so that the shooter does not have to cock his wrist up and down, but instead the Steyr will point naturally in the shooter's hand (like pointing your index finger). Search other tutorials on this sight for tips on proper grip. A proper grip is essential for accuracy.

CONTROL, CONTROL, CONTROL:

To shoot the Steyr accuratly even though it is constantly moving, however slightly, the shooter must have the proper controlled muscle tension in the grip, wrist, and forearms to hold the weapon steady and level the pistol barrel to maintain sight alignment. This constant tension will steady the pistol and make sight alignment easier.

SIGHT PICTURE:

Sight picture is the placement of the front sight in relation to the target while maintaining sight alignment. Because the pistol is in constant motion sight picture is acquired within the aiming area bullseye/center mass of your target. Aiming area is the area that your sight alignment moves within while trying to maintain sight alignment. Of course aiming area is very subjective and each individual must learn his own through experience. Time, distance to target, and personal ability will define what your aiming area is.

NOT OVER YET:
    The above is just about sight alignment, of course to have proper bullet placement you'll have to follow through with trigger and breath control.

STEYR NIGHT SIGHTS OVERALL

The Steyr NS from SteyrUSA are excellent in my opinion. The tritium viles are surrounded by a nice white circle marking making it easy to transition from day to night shooting. The only difficulty I have found is in shooting during twilight hours when it is difficult to pick up the white sight marking and the tritium is not yet bright enough. Ideally, I'd love to have night sights in the trapezoid configuration, but the Steyr NS are a great set of sights until traps are available. There is no reason that an individual with proper practice and using the three fundamentals of shooting should not be accurate with the Steyr NS. In closing, just make sure that you have them properly installed I had my sights put in at Gandor Mountain for $30 and they did an excellent job.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Very nice tutorial, thanks for spending the time writing that.

Jeff