[Q] width profile of the .40 S model

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by platform, Oct 30, 2007.

1. platform

platform New Member

Hi, trying to compare the new Steyr S model to the new Walther PPS
    Walther has 1.04 width profile. I would like to ask what's the width across slides
    and across grips for the Steyr S .40.
    ( I reviewed the FAQ and it says 30mm (1.18 inch) but I am not clear if that's across
    the slide or across grips.

( I understand that it has double stack magazine and therefore will be wider than
    the PPS -- but I am also thinking that Steyr might be the slimmest double stack for .40
    caliber outhtere...)

thank you in advance

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

some of the info you are looking for can be found here.

3. kotkinjs1

kotkinjs1 New Member

Hi platform,

I had a similar question last week until I saw a Steyr S model in person finally at a local gun shop. I've got a Makarov PM which is a very similar size firearm to the PPS. I was looking at a Steyr S model as a replacement for my Makarov for concealed carry but wasn't sure of the similarities of the dimensions of the Steyr to the Makarov (didn't want anything larger than what I've got now).
    Turns out the S model is a fair amount thicker (both slide and grip) and a bit longer than the Makarov (and I expect the PPS). So much so that I passed on it.

FWIW, there are 2 S9's available, one in Ft Lauderdale, FL, through a post I saw on Glocktalk for $359 (with 3 mags) and one at the AT Arms gunshop in Brandon, FL (the same one on Gunbroker right now for a BIN of $399).

Good luck!

- Jeremy

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

One should expect a double stack pistol to be significantly thicker than a single stack - Makarov vs. S(A1) isn't really a fair comparison IMHO. As the original poster stated, the S(A1) isn't too bad when compared to the double stack competition, but I really don't think it is that much smaller than the M(A1). To me, the size difference between the small and medium frames just isn't significant enough to justify going down to the S - YMMV...

5. platform

platform New Member

hi, I looked at wikipedia link but it also has the 30mm (which is what's here on the FAQ) -- but what was not clear to me if this was across the slide or grips

Also
    ... actually p-64 (polish mofied copy of walther) is what I carry most of the time ... (it is 9x18) getting a larger caliber and steyr -- is what I am contemplating... (I also could try sig-239 -- that thing is I think even larger than Steyr)

thank you for all the replies sofar.

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

the 30mm will be the width at the widest point... And I do believe that to be the slide, unless you wrap your grip with a rubber.....

8) 8)

7. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

a comparison is a comparison, it's fair if thats what he's comparing.

8. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

with my trusty el-chepo plastic micrometer, my S40 measurements are

6.75" long
    4.7" high, at the tallest point, with a magazine inserted, not including sights
    1.1" wide on the slide
    1.2" wide on the grip, at the bottom.

hope this helps make a decision. my S40 is very easy to conceal.