Q: A Steyr trigger as good as a 1911? A: Call bigtaco!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ThaiBoxer, Nov 14, 2007.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I sent my MA1 subframe and striker parts to bigtaco. A week later, I had a 1911 quality trigger in my Steyr.

There is the normal take up pf spring compression necessary for this type of trigger, and then...a nice, clean SNICK. Really an excellent trigger break. I've function fired about 150 rounds and it is flawless.

I'll shoot it in next competition I get to.

Excellent work, thanks BT.

2. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

BT, If you get some time, let me know. I want to send you my pistol for a once over (spring, trigger, etc). Have money, will travel.

Thanks,
    MTS

PM me.

3. nixon

nixon Member

For those of us whose into or contemplating to get into competetion, there you go. Our resident armorer ( already a very good one even without the benefit yet of training from Steyr) I'm talking about BT. A steel guide rod, A trig job, an enlarged mag well and an extended mag release will take you to that level playing field depending on what competetion one would like to get involved in - IDPA or IPSC/USPSA - some of the enhancements i mentioned may not be allowed.

Nix,

4. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

How does it look like now? Any pictures?

5. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Yes I agree Nixon. I shoot IPSC (Limited 10) and would love the enhancement. The extended mag release is not allowed in IDPA, but is okay for IPSC. As for the spring, that is okay in IDPA. The two foot magazine (I had to cut in down in half) would never fit in the box [​IMG]. Dang I am funny !

Take Care,
    MTS

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

It looks exactly the same. No special levers, pulleys or balloons needed. ;)

I added PT sights, because I think I shoot them better at distance. Eventually, I will have anothe BT creation to enthrall and titillate. Stay tuned....

7. nixon

nixon Member

T Boxer,
    Do you mind showing your PT night sights on picture here at the forum ?

thanks in advance,
    Nix,

8. paradox

paradox New Member

What is the trigger weight?

I have buffed, polished, and stoned everything I could think of. I now have a very crisp trigger, but my Lyman trigger pull gauge still says the pull in the 6.5-7lb range.

Is this as good as it gets, or is there a secret to the Steyr trigger assembly that I’m missing?

9. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

What is the trigger weight?

I have buffed, polished, and stoned everything I could think of. I now have a very crisp trigger, but my Lyman trigger pull gauge still says the pull in the 6.5-7lb range.quote]

'Interested in this as well. ??

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

OK, I'll try to measure the pull weight tonight and report back. Might try some pics of the the sights as well.

Ben

11. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

OK, I don't know what to think about the pull weight. It measured about 8 lbs using a bag of sand, a rope, and a kitchen scale to weigh the bag of sand. My M40 breaks at about 6.5 lbs. When I compare them, the A1 always break first, in either hand. I have 4 BR guns with 1 oz Jewell triggers I regularly shoot, so I'm well used to light triggers. The A1 feels much better, and I guessed it at 4-5 lbs. But it apparently breaks at about 8 lbs.

Here are my sight pics. They were quick shots and taken on my workbench. The last one is an attempt to show the tritium. The rears sights are yellow, but they "show" white to me, in person and in camera. They are much, much brighter in life.

[​IMG]

Rear only:

[​IMG]

Low light:
    [​IMG]