Purse carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by FlaChef, Apr 7, 2005.

1. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

HiHo,

Upon showing my wife those pics of that bag she thought it was a fantastic idea, but an ugly purse.
    So she promptly went to target and got a $9 black leather purse w/ a center pouch that zippers all the way around and is going to try to put a fault seem in it that can be accessed by velcro without having to be unzippered.

Also she wants to put in a sheath holster (i say she should cut the snap off her uncle mikes once her GrandfatherOak comes in) to protect the trigger of her revolver (yes it fits a 3" barrell Sp101) from accidntly catching.

You sir have created a monster as my wife is known to start many projects w/ great enthusiasm and finish few of them.

but if it gets her to carry regularly (when permit comes) w/out having to buy her a pocket mouse gun then i thank you for the idea as she was none too keen on purse carry (and hates th idea of an IWB) before seeing that bag.

2. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

You should tell your wife that the selection of carry purses is quite large. Galco makes a bunch of styles, along with other companies.

I certainly applaud her enthusiasm for making her own carry rig. But there's something to be said for buying one already done. Most are designed properly, conceal perfectly, and are constructed to take the added weight of a pistol - it's significant.

My wife tried the $15 purse from Target, too. She wasn't trying to make her own side-opening conceal purse, however. She used it as-is. We returned it as soon as we bought her real leather one at the gun show. In fact, this company had the same exact purse my wife bought but in solid colors. She just happened to like the patchwork-look.

Hey, just found the business card for the company where she got hers: their website is: http://danreel.hypermart.net

They've got lots of stuff. My wife spent about $70 on her purse, which isn't bad for a buttery-leather handbag. It's of nice quality. You may want to tell you wife to take a look at the website before diving in to make her own conceal purse. I've also seen a decent number of conceal handbags on eBay in the $30-$60 range, too.

Sorry for creating a monster! But these purses seem to be an ideal way for a woman to carry. My wife really digs hers.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I talked to my wife about carrying. The only way she is willing to carry is with a good purse. We have looked at every carry purse on the market and didn't find any she likes. She is 27 and tends to like purses that are pink and have little frillies on them. I think we might have to buy her one at Target and do some modifying.

Chef when your wife is done with her purse please post some pics.

4. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

she is now leaning towards a $60 e-bay carry purse.

She can mod the purse to carry the gun, but the premade ones have the advantage of a lock that she wouldn't be able to add (say when nieces and nephews are around carry compartment gets locked).

5. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

I, too, would advise that the pre-made carry purses are a lot better than "modding" something up.

Before finding her carry purse, my wife had a store-bought regular purse with a large, easy-access, snap-fastened side panel. While it was *okay*, it was not ideal at all. If nothing else, the gun being on one side of the purse threw the balance off; it fell over every time she put it down. And even her small .380 didn't fit all that well.

The carry purses are made for secure, easy carry with lots of accessibility. The gun section has a holster that attaches to the purse with velcro, to hold the gun securely in the best position for easy reach.

One danger of women carrying in non-specific carry purses is that you KNOW they will do some bad things; accidentally open the gun section and expose their weapon, or start chucking change and receipts and other junk in that compartment without thinking/realizing it - dangerous situation.

The carry purse prevents all that by designating a secure, concealed spot that would be difficult to use as anything other than a secret compartment for a weapon. You won't catch your lady throwing a lipgloss in there, that's for sure.

I think women, just like men, need to make certain compromises in order to carry. A woman can't expect to carry a potent weapon concealed in a tiny little purse with a spaghetti strap. Same as a man cannot expect to carry concealed on his hip while wearing bicycle shorts and tight tank top.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

HAHA you guys are hilarous! My girlfriend like those same pink frillt purses. Bugs the hell out of me she has apurse for every outfit. Its probably a good thing she doesnt carry her 380 cuz she'd want to put it in those "trendy" purses. As for the bike shorts and tank top I think that would be a cool idea dressing up in the 1970's ball hugger shorts and a mesh tank top with the knee high fruit loop socks riding an old beat up 10 speed carrying the gun on the hip. :eek: Classic! I'll take some pictures for a little humor.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

IT does blow my mind that they have to buy shoes, jewelry, and a purse just to go with some new outfit!! It never ceases to amaze me how much money my wife spends on clothes.

8. WorldPax

WorldPax New Member

[​IMG]

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Not that there is anything wrong with that.... :lol:

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Sturmruger,
    I just want to state in defense of all the women getting bashed here that what I spend on clothes and accessories is a FRACTION of what my husband spends on guns and parts!!If I spend fifty bucks he spends five hundred. I always ask him when was the last time that I spent 1000 dollars on a sweater, but he always replies with "when was the last time a sweater saved your life?" Men....
    I also have a frilly purse that I carry my M9 in (and my Kahr E-9 before that). It was by Liz Claiborne and has three inside pockets so I just put it in the center pocket and you can't even tell. I know it would be easier and faster to have a concealable holster but I'm just not willing to dress like a man to be able to carry a gun. I like tight little sweaters and tank tops too much as I'm sure all your girlfriends and wives do too.

11. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Its tougher for women to carry because of clothes fashion which drives them to purses which has all the disadvantages of any off-body carry. The first time you leave it somewhere you have a major problem on your hands.

12. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Member

I've only ever met/known One Woman to leave a purse some place and she was drunk when she did it and therefore shouldn't have been carrying anyway (not that she was)
    While it's not the best choice of carry methods, it's still better then nothing.

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I can't count the number of times that I know, or have heard, of purses being lost. Have lost 2 wallets of my own in my lifetime.