PT night sights problems.

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ministerofdeath, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Hey Steyr Club,

I have been trying to get ahold of PT night sights now for about two weeks with zero luck. I've sent them two emails and have called them twice with no returned phone calls so far.

Is Jerrie Ling still the Steyr Club contact person? Do they still extend us the discount for members here and free installation? Last time I got my night sights from there I had zero issue, now it is like they don't exist over there.

Has anyone else had this kind of difficulty dealing with them lately?

Thanks.

2. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Yes. I attempted to contact them by email regarding a special request order I was considering and never received a response. I dropped it.

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I have made two separate attempts to contact them as well, with no response.....

:? :?

4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Their customer service licks the skanky gooch, but they eventually made good with me. All I can guess is that chemical dependency is involved. I don't know why else they would be so erratic.

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

There is the possibility that they are at SHOT right now.

6. I emailed them three weeks and two weeks respectively before SHOT Show 08'.

I've been calling them once a week for four weeks now without a single returned phone call.

All I want to know is whether the deal is still available (yes or no) so that I will not feel like a chump for paying full price. That said, if I don't hear from them by the end of this week I may have to bit the bullet here and just purchase them online and have them installed here. :(

I'm almost upset enough though with their total lack of customer service to say "forget it" and go with someone else, but they still are the best priced even without the discount.

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...with customer service like this, I wouldn't give 'em a dime for nothin'.....

:? :?

8. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Have they been at the SHOT Show for the last 3 months? :roll:

9. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Seems unlikely. They may have been drinking shots for the past 3 months.

10. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

If You still can't get PT on the phone or web, try these:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4858

Also if You don't wanna deal w/ Trijicon direct, PM me I have an extra set of Trijicons(green/green) I'll send You for $105! :twisted:

Or if You'd rather I have a used set of PT night sights for the Steyr I'll send You for $40! :shock:
    _______
    mugdava

11. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

It's a shame because we have so few sources for MA1 after-market parts and accessories. It would be nice if we could count on the ones we have.

12. Well I want to thank everyone for their help here and encouragement.

I got ahold of PT night sights and the discount was only if I sent the slide into them for service. Well, needless to say I had my reservations about shipping my slide into company it took me this long to get ahold of on the phone (never had an email returned). So, I elected to just purchase the night sights and have them shipped to me installing them myself without the discount.

I'll let you folks know if I have any trouble receiving them.

Thanks

13. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Unless things have changed, the front sight dovetail will be undersized and the rear sight dovetail oversized. Peen the bottom of the front sight carefully, testing often. Make sure you have a nice tight fit before you quit, losing a front sight after a shot sucks. File the bottom of the rear sight, being careful to keep it square, until you get it fit so that it slides at least halfway in the slide with finger pressure. Then tap it in place using a brass drift punch, and then tighten the set screws.

If you know this already, never mind. Best,

Ben

14. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

If I could get a lighter trigger in my M9A1 (my wish of all wishes) and have Trijicon night sights, I'd have the makings of an incredible gun. But having only the Trijicons IMHO does not solve the real problem, that being the MA1's heavy trigger. Get that sucker down to a crisp, reliable, 4.5-5 pound break (vs. my 6#), and I'd have no problem with investing in other wizbang after-market goodies, Trijicons included.

The MA1 is capable of very good accuracy right out of the box, is well made and a good choice for a carry/HD weapon. With a better trigger and better sights, it reaches its full potential. It's all about the trigger (polishing parts alone doesn't really make that much of a difference) and I've yet to find anyone willing to tackle the trigger issue head-on from a commercial standpoint. Dedicated Steyr gunsmithing and the availability of parts (OEM and more after-market) are what we need to bring new owners into the fold. Hard to believe we only have two after-market choices for sights and one appears to be missing in action of late. Plus no dedicated sight pusher is available (sorry if i appear on a role here, I just want this gun to succeed, it's that good otherwise). When I look at the front Trap sight, I can't see how I could remove that little guy without dinging up the slide. A nylon punch will really do the trick? That and a good vice right?

15. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Well, getting a big outfit like Trijicon in support of Steyr M-A1 pistols is a HUGE step in the right direction!

Did anyone wanting a trigger job call or email Bowie Tactical Concepts regarding trigger jobs other than Netfotoj and Myself. If Net and I are the only two that called I can see Mr Bowie thinking there's not enough of a market for the service of Steyr pistols.

I don't need a trigger job, as my M357-A1 already has one(5 1/4 pound pull w/ a firm reset!), but I like the idea of having a skilled tech that is willing to work on Our pistols.

If You want big companies to support Us and Our pistols We need to buy their products, when released. Same w/ qualified gunsmiths, when one is willing to consider working on Our pistols We need to show interest! Or stop bitchin' about the lack of support or no smith willing to do Steyrs!!!
    _______
    mugdava

16. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

First off I appreciate your response. Secondly, no one is bitchin' and if it sounded like I was, it was not my intent. Thirdly, this is the first time to my knowledge, that anyone has mentioned Bowie Tactical Concepts as a potential source for Steyr gunsmithing services (if I missed it somewhere mea culpa). I have been searching endlessly trying to locate a reputable MA1 gunsmith so this is encouraging news (a Google search yielded noting). Perhaps Bowie needs to be menioned more often and an email campaign started? I will definitely contact them and express my interest. Thank you. As for contacting other gunsmithing services, I have personally contacted both Springer Precision (Scott Springer) and Burwell (Dan Burwell) Gunsmithing, who specialize in the XD and M&P respectively. Both have more work than they can handle and are not interested in taking on the MA1 - I believe I posted to the effect some time ago.

As for me, I do buy after-market products - got Taco's all-steel recoil rod and love it and I have three different holsters for my M9A1.

17. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I will.

18. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Kraigster!

Sorry if I let my enthusiasm get the better of me! :doh:

Also, thank You for trying to get Springer and Burwell into the loop! :wink:

Thank You!
    _______
    mugdava

19. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Trust me Mug, more than a few of us have tried to get the gunsmithing/accessories industry interested in the MA1. There has been a lot of behind the scenes activity but so far the response has not been what we had hoped. Should we give up? Absolutely not but it's an uphill battle. Professional gunsmiths are in short supply (the good ones anyway) and most have more work than they can handle. I would be glad to be a guinea pig for some aspiring soul who's interested in making his mark with the MA1. :) I really believe if we can address the trigger, everything else will follow.

And I would like to apologize to the thread starter. I know we've gotten off topic a little bit.

20. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I did write Bowie and ask about trigger jobs on my M357-A1 and M9-A1, but no answer yet. If I don't get an answer soon, I'll write again. As the Good Book says, go thou and do likewise.

The squeaky wheel get the grease. But not if it don't squeak. Let's all sqeak a little louder. :mrgreen: