Project SP-TS Shadow

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by coolbox, Oct 26, 2012.

1. coolbox

coolbox New Member

Project SP-TS Shadow with Range Report

Didn't I mention somewhere abount being busy?

TARGET:

The below picture is not of my weapon (yet).

[​IMG]

This is something that has been on my mind for quite a while. Finally, gathered the courage to go for it. I did arrange an analog Mitutoyo vernier, to get the measurements right.

DRAWING BOARD

well, almost a drawing board! not to mention almost a drawing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-I measured and compared the side to side frame clear space at the muzzle (where it is slightly less to act as a dust protection), and the major part of the frame behind the immediate muzzle area.
    -I also compared the vertical clearance, as well as wall thickness of frame on all sides.
    -I measure the width of slide rails, to find out how much material would have to be removed from this area, to ensure that the slide and frame fit. I am not looking for a competition fit here. I would not mind some very slight play in the slide-frame fitting, as this would be a tactical weapon. And again, most of the accuracy is from the barrel to slide fitting, and slide to frame. However, if I undertake another project, it would be a tight finish one, with minimal tolerance in mind!

FRAME MODIFICATION

From the drawings and measurements above,

Opening in SP01 Shadow Frame at Muzzle: 15.8mm
    Opening in SP01 Shadow Frame after 0.5" Muzzle: 17.4mm
    Required minimum opening: 18.6mm

Below is the what the frame looks like from the inside, after all the filing work.

[​IMG]

Don't blame the picture here. The finish on the inside of the frame is 'that' bad, as I did this work myself. It took me around 7-8 hours spread over two days, and two files to get through. I did not have a bench vise. Decided to hold/grip the weapon in one had, and file with the other. Kept changing hands, giving both of them a good working. A bit crude, but the clearance was made alright!

UPDATED ON 26TH OCTOBER

I have further polished the internal face of the frame on both sides, to smooth out the rough areas. Below pictures might give some idea, plus, also look at how much the dust cover is opened up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. coolbox

coolbox New Member

SLIDE WORK

Approx .2mm of material removal required from each side of the slide rails. This work, I have done 60% myself. Then, it took its toll on me, and have handed over to a trusted gunsmith. I trust him that he will not do it as I want, but will do it better than anyone else.

[​IMG]

Now, will these mate with each other?

UNFINISHED PRODUCT, SLIDE AND FRAME MATED WITH EACH OTHER

I will let the pictures do the talking now, and this is what the product looks like, unfinished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off for re-finishing, and one internal work still left, which I will have to complete myself. Not bad so far? Or is it?

UPDATE ON 26TH OCTOBER

LAST HURDLE: FITTING OF BARREL LOWER LUG (PEANUT)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above pictures were taken before hand, when I was doing my homework on the project, and to try to mimick any problem with the different barrel specs of TS, although in the Shadow slide. That is the exact problem I am still facing, not exactly a problem though. It is part of the fitting that needs to be done.

The last 1.5mm of slide movement (when returning to battery) are free from any impact of recoil spring, and the slide moves freely into and out of full battery.

What is happening is that the frame of SP01 and TS are different. The guide rod travels further 1.5mm back before resting in the frame, and till that point, there is free movement of the slide. To overcome this, the front end of the lower peanut of barrel needs to be reduced by approx 1.5mm in length. This would mean that the recoil spring/guide rod is touching the barrel, as well as the frame, at the same time. Hence no play. If I over do this a bit, it is not a harm, as it will still only keep the recoil spring in a bit of tension, nothing more. But if less or no material is removed, the slide will keep moving freely back and forth, by about 1.5mm, in the battery position. Something that is not desirable.

I hope I am clear..

BARREL LUG FITTING AND FUNCTION TEST

I have filed the barrel 'peanut', and function tested it with live ammo.
    The initial reading of peanut was 21mm, which was reduced to 19.5mm in stages. I first got it down to 19.8mm, then 19.6mm, then 19.55mm, and finally 19.5mm. Total material removed was 1.5mm. Did the necessary deburring, and made a notch (or sort of) for the guide rod to rest in!

[​IMG]

With the notch!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fired 45 rounds, Chinese Norinco 311 and S&B 124 gr, in a private land. No issues faced. Functioned like it came from CZ's Custom factory, specially for me! The balance is as good as it gets; it is a CZ75 SP01 Shadow frame after all. Felt recoil, well, just like it should be in gun of this weight. S&B 9mm felt like .32S&W long, while Norinco 311 felt like..well it felt like 9mm!

I will try it out at the range on the next session, but I am already sure it is just as good as any TS could be. I was shooting at small pebbles and match boxes from 30mtrs, and was hitting them consistently.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

3. coolbox

coolbox New Member

REFINISHED PRODUCT

Got it back from the gunsmith after re-finishing. Not as good as I would have wanted ( I am a perfectionist by nature), but not bad for a start either. However, I am satisfied at the effort, and if I had not made a few basic errors along the process, I would have had an even better result. Still, it is now my precious!

Here goes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How it feels in the hand, well, you dont want to leave it. Once you hold it, you are sold to the feel and balance.

Comments anyone?

More to follow.....
    (Customary accuracy report)

THE RESULT

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  4. coolbox

coolbox New Member

RANGE REPORT (29TH OCT 2012)

After zeroing the sights, (since they were re-installed after the refinishing work, and badly too!), the results were pretty satisfactory.
    Let the shooting do the talking:

Shooter: Saif
    Handgun: CZ75 SP-TS Shadow
    Distance: 25 Mtrs
    Technique: Two hand hold (right hand ) unsupported, deliberate fire, standing
    Ammo: Chinese Norinco 311, 9mm
    Score: 182/200

[​IMG]

Without adjusting the sights, decided to shoot with S&B 115gr.

Shooter: Saif
    Handgun: CZ75 SP-TS Shadow
    Distance: 25 Mtrs
    Technique: Two hand hold (right hand ) unsupported, deliberate fire, standing
    Ammo: S&B 115gr, 9mm
    Score: 186/200

FIRST GROUP

[​IMG]

FOUR IN A HOLE, 2ND GROUP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yes, one flyer, but what more in accuracy would you want out of handgun?

Below is after 20 rounds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coincidently, this is the best I have shot for quite some time, arguably the best to date, although these are double hand hold. Both above targets (of 20 shots) are almost at par, with zeroing for different ammunition effecting the final score, although we could argue that the second target is just a tad better. I decided to shoot double handed as wanted to get the best of accuracy out of this session, and was under the influence of flu medications, so not the best of days for me. Still, i do not think I could have done much better.

And yes, I also fired the Shadow slide in Shadow frame, worked flawlessly. I also fired the TS slide in TS frame. Worked flawlessly (but just a bit of play in slide to frame fit compared to earlier).

FELT RECOIL
    Of all the above combos, the felt recoil was the least in the SP-TS Shadow, even less than the TS. I could have been biased, and asked a friend at the range to confirm. He said ditto. When I was shooting S&B 115gr, it almost felt like 32 s&w Long! A pleasure to shoot, indeed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  5. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Way to go! Looking like a lust factor item to me!

6. coolbox

coolbox New Member

Thank you ETH77.
    It is a lust factor item alright. Was a charm to shoot, sheer shooting pleasure. It handles better than a TS too.

7. coolbox

coolbox New Member

Updated, with range report. I understand this is a Steyr (and Caracal, which I also own) based forum, but, still, this is one mean handgun..

8. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Re: Project SP-TS Shadow with Range Report

Well shot Saif! You have a winner there. I wonder if my .40 would do as well with a brand new TS slide...

9. coolbox

coolbox New Member

Re: Project SP-TS Shadow with Range Report

Thank you.
    There is only one way to find out!!
    But I am sure it would work just as good with the right loads, even better, after the necessary fitting. And my TS slide was overworked, the fitting to the frame is not tight enough to my liking. With a tighter fitting, you could get better ransom test results, although the actual accuracy is related to barrel and slide fit, in my view.
    You will need to change the TS rear sights though. They suck, when it comes to precision shooting. Rear sight notch is too deep and wide. Pretty good for rapid shooting though. Quick sight acquisition is very easy with them. I have LPA adjustable sights installed.