prohunter stocks

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by Guest, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am looking at getting a prohunter in 300 winmag. I have read listings
    of flexible stock issues in the past. Is there still a problem with the synthetic stocks? I have read that the "black" tactical stock is preferred.
    Is the gray stock a problem? I don't generally use a bipod, so I don't know if this is really an issue or not.
    I have been really impressed is the "out of the box" accuracy listed in other posts, and am really looking forward to getting one of these.

Any other pro's/con's would be appreciated.

oh...is the sales pitch of not really needing a muzzle brake true? That the ergonomic design of the stock reduces felt recoil?

Dan

2. olli9022

olli9022 Steyr Mannlicher Representative

If you buy a new Pro Hunter it will have a fibreglass reinforced stock.
    So the problem is already solved.

3. alagator

alagator New Member

Dano, I have 2 of the grey stock prohunters, and the stocks are flexible at the forend. They have good accuracy off a rest if you rest them fairly close to the trigger guard-- about the same place you would normally put your left hand anyway. I have had no problem with hunting accuracy on the 270 mountain, and no recoil problems. I have yet to hunt with the 7mm rem mag. I used a Sims slip-on recoil pad on it while breaking it in, and no recoil problem. I plan to hunt without the pad, as it is rather grabby. I don't think hunting shots are going to make you fear the gun, since you will rarely take more than one at a time. It is practice that teaches you to flinch, so padding and ear protection are a must. Only the prone position kicks as much as off a benchrest-- most hunting shots allow your body to move to help with recoil. Muzzel brakes will ruin your ears if you don't wear protection even when hunting, and the blast is a sure way to learn to flinch. As Ollie922 said, the new black stocks are supposed to be better-- I haven't been able to handle one to see if it feels stiffer at the forend. Ollie should know-- his address is Austria! I do know that the black stock models have an improved bolt cam which makes the bolt lift very easy-- it was a problem in the older ones.
    The long barrel in the 7mm and the 300 adds weight which helps with recoil-- this isn't a light rifle, but it is well balanced and a joy to shoot. The trigger is great. Just one final word of advice-- get the stainless barrel if yoy hunt where it is wet. My 7 is stainless, and in Alabama it is much easier to maintain.
    Hope this ramble helps.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

steyr availability?

alagator,
    thanks for the information. I have 2 gun dealers so far checking with their distributors for the rifle i want. stainless is what i'm looking for. steyr in georgia has the specific rifle i'm looking for, but some of the distributors don't carry that specific one? kind of strange to me the lack of availability here in the states, specifically colorado where i live.
    where did you find your rifles? do you know any on-line dealers that are reputable, reliable, and fair priced?

5. alagator

alagator New Member

I got my Steyrs from gunshops in the Birmingham, Alabama area back when the national distributorship was a local outfit, GSI. Lots of us dumb rednecks running around the woods with quality Austrian rifles. I have not dealt with them, but http://www.onpointfirearms.com lists some Steyrs, and may be able to get you one. I know they have low prices for Steyr pistol accessories. Perhaps other members may be able to speak of their reliability-- in fact, I think the owner is a member. Hope this helps.

6. uncowboy

uncowboy New Member

I have the Black Tac in 308 and I think the stock is too flexiable. It is the ONLY thing I don't like about the rifle. I like the FN Houge overmolded stock a lot better but they don't make it for the SBS. I have a bipod on my rifle and although it does still shoot nice the Flex in the stock is always working on your head! J.Michael