Prohunter re-barrel

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by HuskyPups, Jan 26, 2013.

1. HuskyPups

HuskyPups New Member

Hello:
    New member here, I have a prohunter in .260rem that a pervious owner tried to make into a 'brush gun'. It looks like they cut the barrel with a hacksaw, recrowned it with a dremel, and, just for giggles, bored out the rifling with a drill bit. The barrel is ~17.5" from the locked bolt face to the high spot of the crown (which is cut at an angle)and maybe 17.250" from the bolt face to the angled rifling. And of course the rifling is at a different angle to the 'crown'. I haven't shot yet for fear of how bad the group size is going to be.

My question is: can I have this rifle re-barreled without sending it back to the factory? I can maybe chuck it in my lathe and re-crown it and still be a legal length, but I can't for the life of me figure out if the barrel is threaded or pressed in and it won't go far enough into the headstock to leave me room to cut it with the action on. All the research I've done is leaning toward pressed in. I'd prefer a 20-26" barrel anyway so I'm leaning toward replacing it anyway, but recrowning it would be a good lathe excersize for me.

Can anyone confirm or deny this. Failing that, any recommendations for a good gunsmith since I can't find anyone local willing to work on it?

Thanks

David

2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

I hate to say it, but I feel your pain! You can purchase a crowning tool from Brownells and do it by hand. That will blow the lathe exercise, but it will get your barrel back in shape for shooting. The Steyr barrels are good at most lengths - see the Steyr Scout. That is what I suspect the previous "owner" was attempting to duplicate. Why in 260 Rem? It was the only Steyr found, probably.
    Give SteyrArms a call (205) 655-8299, talk to Jeff, they'll help. They're wonderful to do business with!

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Re-crowning should do the trick. The .260 wasn't offered for very long and is not a common rifle. I have one. You might notice some flex at the front of the stock and if it bothers you there is a fix to improve it that you can find by doing a search here.

4. HuskyPups

HuskyPups New Member

Thanks for the responsies, thought about picking up one of the Mason crowning tools, heck of a price tag though.....Don't think I can justify the cost to just do this one rifle. I may end up going that route though unless some one can tell me how the barrel comes out.

5. HuskyPups

HuskyPups New Member

Update. Finaly had time to call styer and talk to Jeff. Prohunter barrels are threaded on. He said only a couple of models are pressed/heat shrunk on. Can't get a factory barrel without sending it back, but after market should work fine. Guess it's time for me to dig a little deeper and see if I can get it apart.

Thanks for the info guys!!