Problems with Wolf ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by raygunner, Dec 12, 2007.

1. raygunner

raygunner Guest

After firing maybe five hundred rounds over the weekend in a handgun defense training, I had to use some Wolf ammo in .40. The Blazer Brass ammo I'd been using had worked flawlessly. After a couple of mags of Wolf I did a speed reload and the slide rack jammed open. This happened a couple of times. The instructor suggested I might need to do some repair or adjustment.
    Wondering if anyone has experienced stage three malfunctions with the MA40? How about with the Wolf ammo?

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Wolf is notorious for its crap quality and is shunned at most decent ranges and by most self-respecting handgunners (no offense!). You may get some use from this thread over in the Ammo forum. Stick to blazer, wwb, and other quality brands.

(I'll shoot Wolf in .223 with prices as bad as they are now, or in other rifles, but never for my handguns)

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

It screwed me up good, in my M40. I bought a case, and about 2/3 through I started with a few FTE probs out of the blue. I'd never had problems with the M40, and my 1911 .4 shot Wolf fine, so I didn't know what was up. Before I figured it was the Wolf, I had some astounding problems, all FTE. Long story short, I scrubbed the chamber out with a Dremel felt wheel, and it returned to normal. No more Wolf in the M40 for me.

4. raygunner

raygunner Guest

No offense taken Syntax Thanks for the input. The guys at the store agreed when I talked with them. I'll keep an eye on the ammo postings.

5. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

I just finished 1000 rounds of it through my Glock which is usually pretty forgiving. I had 3 failures in one session and about 6-7 per 1000 bad rounds all up. Mainly bulgy cases or badly seated projectiles.

As the saying goes "if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!"

Still its one of the cheapest brands here. In saying that I had to buy a few boxes of Barnal to get me thru the weekend. I reckon its made in the same factory and just comes out a different door.

My normal ammo is once shot NZ Police brass reloaded by a local ammo company. Its cheap and recycled and supports our local business. There is no way I could afford to shoot using big name brands. (NZ $30 per box)

6. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Wolf often isn't very good for high pressure cartridges that have very little to no case taper
    IE: 223, 40S&W, combined with a gun not designed from the ground up for steel cases.
    Guns chambered for 45, 7.62X39 and Com-bloc guns like the Makarov pistol and AK (in any caliber) eat it fine.
    9MM is borderline.

Old man trivia: In WWII America made all it's 45ACP ammo with steel cases to save on material.
    You could still buy it surplus for around twice the cost of new 22LR as late as the 80s.
    Naturally, I shot it and never saved any :doh:

7. Yeah, I've never used WOLF and that is due in large part to the fact that my shooting club does not allow steel case ammunition. However, I have seen countless posts since I joined here and even before at Glocktalk where folks had issues and often it would come out that they were using Wolf.

I look at it this way you're going to spend a few cents shooting WWB or Blazer Brass per round and probably spend a few more bucks at the end of the year, but to me it is worth the money over the stress of having malfunctions. If you can do a bulk ammo purchase or if you buy as you go do the value packs at places like Walmart or watch for sales you wont spend that much more money.

Some guys here do their own reloads and that a route to go if you've got that kind of time.

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I always seem to come to the defense of Wolf ammo. I've shot thousands of rounds through two Steyrs, countless Glocks, AK's, AR's and I can count the duds on one hand.......At Tactical Response adult camp, the AK's ran exclusively on Wolf and I shot several hundred rounds in my AR, at the camp, without a hitch.....I can't say why guys have a problem with it, but I feel compelled to give the other side of the coin......I wouldn't hesitate to buy the stuff if the price was much lower then, say, blazers......the only ammunition I have ever had consistantly bad results from was American, and that was the copper jackets separating from the lead.......no FTE's or FTF's....

9. lordcase

lordcase Guest

I must admit I had concerns about the steel jacketed Wolf ammo but, unlike so many other shooters, I have never had a problem with it. I do not currently reload anything, though I am considering doing so.
    The only rounds my M40 has trouble with are the aluminum cases and, belive it or not, Remingtons. I recntly had two jams and tw failure to fires with Remington FMJ. I was not only surprised but terribly disappointed in the quality of this quintisentially American product. The dirt cheap Russian rounds work fine as do almost all other brands I have tried.

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Are you referring to Remington "yellow box" UMC? It is probably the biggest "known offender" with the Steyr pistols...

11. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Anyone know what the issue is with UMC and Steyr?

12. lordcase

lordcase Guest

SYNTAX 360,
    the loads were indeed UMC rounds but they were not the yellow box. These were green box, 165 grain, metal case, labeled L40SW4. As I mentioned, I was tremendously diasappointed that an American product would be the failure.