Problems with a new magazine

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Angel, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Angel

Angel Guest

I bought a 14 round M9 mag from a Gun show. The same guy sold me one a while back that works perfectly but this one is giving me problems. First of all the follower is very stiff and seems like it gets stuck, sometimes with a single round sitting on it. The action of the follower is just not as smooth as all my others. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this one?

Thanks

2. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Take it apart and clean it first. Most people don't think about cleaning their mags. I think everyone should do it at least once a year with moderate use.

-D

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Contact SAI and tell them the problem. Maybe leave out the gunshow part, but they are very don't ask, don't tell. I'd be willing to bet you'll get a new magazine.

4. Angel

Angel Guest

Do Steyr mags disassemble just like the Glock ones?

Thx

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Pretty much all (handgun) magazines disassemble the same way. Use a pen tip or something to push in the little "button" on the floor plate and slide the floor plate off. Spring, follower, etc. will come out the bottom. You should give them a good wipe down inside and out regularly, but be careful if you oil them and keep them loaded - you don't want your carry ammo swimming in a pool of gun lubricant all the time.

6. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

I have to give a plug to Tetra lube grease, rub it in to the inside of the mag then use a clean cloth clean toff the Tetra. They claim it actually works into the metal, I can't prove that but I did try this treatment on a junk AK mag for someone else. Now it's not junk anymore and dust/dirt doesn't seem to adhere to the areas I worked with the Tetra.
    Oil or related bubes that leave a visible residue seem to collect dirt, the Tetra lube doesn't do that.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Eek :shock: - be careful with the grease. I've never tried Tetra before, so I'll take your word that it works, but grease tends to attract all kinds of junk and create buildup - not what I would want on the inside of my mag.

I would personally recommend Eezox - of all the informal tests of a myriad of lube products on other gun boards, Eezox always seems to come out on top for its rust preventive qualities. You spray it on, let it dry, and wipe off the bulk of what's left and it does a phenomenal job. I had 1 M9 magazine try to start rusting and Eezox took care of the problem for me.

If you are real interested in a lube that is suppose to "work into the metal", check out Militec-1. Most recommend you actually bake the oil into the metal by putting the lubed parts in the over @ 185 degrees for 15 minutes. It's great lube in general, but I have tried the heat treatment method once and it really did seem to work quite well. (I only used it on the slide and barrel - don't think I would want to bake a poly frame, even if it is only 185 degrees)

8. Angel

Angel Guest

I am actually a fan of that stuff. I use it on the rails of my M9-1A and never had a problem with the slide not locking back completely since I started using it. Especially like the stuff since its so easy to apply a small amount accurately. I will try it on the magazine.

Thanks

9. Angel

Angel Guest

Update

So I open up the "new" magazine and guess what? The spring inside was RUSTED. Some of the rust is on the walls of the magazine, too. So, I cleaned and lubed and suddenly the action was a million times better.

Yet to take it to the range but I'll report on that this weekend.