Problems arising with M9

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by poppopkelly, Jan 14, 2007.

1. poppopkelly

poppopkelly New Member

:?: How is everyone after the holidays?

Ok, here is my arising problems.

M9 bought August of 05 nib, at that time was only getting hit in the head with empties. No big thing just wore a hat. the weapon is fired twice a month with 200 to 300 rounds. It is my off duty weapon or it was. The past few weekends of shooting, two problems seem to be appearing.

First, the rounds are being crunched going into the firing chamber. The total lenght of the round is dropping from 1.155 inches to 1.042 inches. This is making a very compressed load and wow what a noise. Nice flame out the barrel end.

Second, a line of dragging from the primer to the shell casing is appearing. This is on the spent round cases only.

I have followed the cleaning routines after every shoot and also from the training and learning pratices on this web site. I might say very good instructions.

I have copied the addy for Steyr and will call them tomorrow. Also if anyone has had the same or similiar problems let me know, I would like to carry this weapon again off duty. My duty weapon is a Sig229 with 357sig loads, too heavy for off duty.

Tim

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

first off stop shooting if it is reducing the loads from 1.155 to 1.042
    thats very bad.

the primer thing and ejections tend to go away after about 500-1000 rounds some cases it has not. try the mods availible in the maint section ie 1911 plunger spring or the new mod. ejections first.

otherwise the official route Steyr service. with the cartridge "crunching issue would definately recommend sending it in.

my M9 and magazines all put the cartridge onto the top of the ramp and bottom of the chamber. easy feed. what are you and the gun doing there?

3. poppopkelly

poppopkelly New Member

I work in Federal Protective Service and I will leave that all to be said.

We as a group go shooting every 2 weeks so we can keep up with our requals every 3 months. They do not have a sense of humor if you do poorly. The ammo is supplied so there is no question of reloads, in fact if we use other than ammo supplied we are written, so it is easier to use theirs. Mostly Winchester and Remington ammo.

You mentioned how the head boobers seem to go away, but I did a quick add up and I have shot about 3000+/- rounds since purchasing the weapon. I have tried the fixes for the ejector but not the spring. I have to be careful not to modify the weapon in the event it is used in service and then is entered into court. The defense attys just love modified weapons.

I am hoping tomorrow when I call they can request a send in a repair. I have read some of the other posts and people are really happy with Steyr.

Tim

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

If I was getting bullet setback, I would call Steyr and DEMAND they take it in for an overhaul.

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

at that round count send it in and given profession probably best method to go.

extractor mod is the adding of a 1911 plunger spring inside the extractor spring to give it more strength on extraction. no files or dremels nothing shady. simple addition of a spring inside of a spring.

on the cartridge crunching which ammo specificly. is it being rechambered over and over? well crimped ammo should not be moving that much.

6. poppopkelly

poppopkelly New Member

Thank you all for your input.

The cruch is from box to clip to chamber. It appears to not to be brand specific as I am only using win or rem ammo. So lets see what Steyr says. My duty weapon has more or less over 7000 rounds thru it and it still performs perfectly. I find it hard to believe that a Steyr would only last a few low thousand.

Besides I am partial to Steyr not Sig Sour(they rust).

Tim :wink:

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Pop*

Which is it? Wincherster? Remington? Both? Plz elaborate. But, for sure, contact SAI and get their instruction on what to do. One other thing, if ya can load a mag with a cartridge that you can mic, get the length, load it into the mag and chamber it. Extract it and check the length again. It could be that the bullet is seated to an improper length and its pushing it back into the case when its chambered. 1.140" is standard though different bullets can be seated to different depths depending on the shape of the bullet. It could also be that its not properly crimped and the chambering from the mag is enough to set the bullet back, possibly from the ramp angle. That's not the firearm's fault, its the bullet manufacturer's. Check it out and post your results. Either way, the 357 SIG is a very high performance round and bullet setback is nothin' to fool around with. I would cease to shoot it until you know what's causing the setbacks. G'luck and be safe.

Wulf

8. poppopkelly

poppopkelly New Member

Thanks Wulf,

We use mostly win ammo. FMJRN only no lead, hollow etc. Some of us were thinking of having the ammo checked for bullet pull, but the glocks, S&W, and others are not having a problem. Just me.

Tim

9. poppopkelly

poppopkelly New Member

:D :D :D

Ok here is a follow up. Called Stery, and had a wonderful conversation with jeff and he said to send in the weapon. But, this pass week was requalify for the job and hated to have the requal on the Ruger Sp101. So I explained what was happening to my M9 and being the gunsmiths were at the range to verify all weapons safe, they more or less knew what was wrong.

I requalified on my work weapons and on thursday had to do my back up weapons. I was suprised when they had solved the problem. It seems when the barrel was made the ramp was not made smooth and the cutting rings were still there. From having close to 4k rounds of hard nose rounds thru, a small groove was made and the round was hanging on the case edge just enought to make a round become out of path and getting crunched.

So they polish the ramp and all is well. So check your ramps for the rings and just polish them down. They said probably was made on a friday or monday.

Tim

PS, they loved the weapon, especially the sights.

10. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Great news, Pop* :)

U rock, Dude! :p

Wulf

11. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

All's well that ends well.