Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello everyone from Argentina
I bought this M9 second hand a few years ago, I had never paid much attention to it until now
the springs they have are the original ones, I have never changed them
if I accompany the closing of the slide with my hand, the route remains unfinished
Do you think replacing the mainspring will improve this problem?
I'm trying to find out how many pounds the original spring comes from to buy one just like it, I think I'll make the guide myself.
I listen to your opinions, thank you very much

·
Super Moderator
447 Posts
You could try to swap springs, especially if it’s old, but this would be more of polishing it up to me. If it were me I would first polish up the rails and then I would clean and lubricate it. Some go to extremes with fire lapping but I just use a Dremel. Shouldn’t be an issue then. I’ve seen many guns do what your saying and rarely is it the main spring, it’s typically needing to be worn in or lubricated. You can speed that up with a polish and then just make sure it’s lubricated. Personally I use oil to clean it up and some firearm grease on the rails. I know that many will say just go oil, which I think is fine but I was always taught if it slide use some grease, if it rotates use oil. If it is old or has many rounds down it then I would swap the spring as that will keep it from malfunctioning or damaging itself. You can check with tn Steyr but I think it’s #19 spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I also live in Argentina and I also have an M9 since 2000. That problem is not the firing pin spring (46), unless the spring is cut, the guide (44) or the washer (45) is broken. It could also be something broken in the firing system (the sear and detent assembly (10, 11), the sear spring (13), etc.). Or, as they say here, it could be a cleaning and polishing problem.
Very recently, the rear end of the firing pin spring guide (44) spring guide pin on my M9 broke off. That made the action very stiff and I could hardly fire. I would take it apart and not notice the problem, until I saw the break and a little piece of the guide that was loose causing the problem.
As for the trigger hardness, mine when I had the original springs was 8lbs. I had the firing pin spring and sear spring made. The first one I shortened a bit and the other one I made the angle smaller, plus a polishing of the key parts (following Taco's tips), I managed to get it down 4-5 lbs. Less than that, the action doesn't assemble. It's a tough action for sport shooting. It's a pitty there are no assemblies to soften the action like there are from Glock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I also live in Argentina and I also have an M9 since 2000. That problem is not the firing pin spring (46), unless the spring is cut, the guide (44) or the washer (45) is broken. It could also be something broken in the firing system (the sear and detent assembly (10, 11), the sear spring (13), etc.). Or, as they say here, it could be a cleaning and polishing problem.
Very recently, the rear end of the firing pin spring guide (44) spring guide pin on my M9 broke off. That made the action very stiff and I could hardly fire. I would take it apart and not notice the problem, until I saw the break and a little piece of the guide that was loose causing the problem.
As for the trigger hardness, mine when I had the original springs was 8lbs. I had the firing pin spring and sear spring made. The first one I shortened a bit and the other one I made the angle smaller, plus a polishing of the key parts (following Taco's tips), I managed to get it down 4-5 lbs. Less than that, the action doesn't assemble. It's a tough action for sport shooting. It's a pitty there are no assemblies to soften the action like there are from Glock.
pm to you

·
Registered
354 Posts
Any Browning-style semi-auto should do something similar if you ride the slide home. That's why you don't do that, ever, when reloading the firearm.

The last few mm of slide travel is what locks up the barrel in battery, and is more resistive to the spring pressure than the rest of the slide travel. Barrel is tilting up to lock in this type of, and the spring pressure is attempting to overcome that friction, while having to balance not being overly resistive (heavy weight spring) and causing ammo feeding malfunctions.

Reactions: Zudrick
1 - 6 of 6 Posts