Primer swipe all the way across to the casing on M40-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by BluteEhre, May 8, 2013.

1. BluteEhre

BluteEhre New Member

Hey there,

I am new to handguns in general, and just purchased a Steyr M40-A1. I love the way this gun feels and shoots, but noticed primer swipes that have me a little concerned. From researching it seems others have primer swipe marks with this gun as well, but when the swipe extends all the way across and you can see where the firing pin is making contact with the brass casing, is there reason to be concerned?

I also notice that my spend casings appear to be ever so slightly bulged on the one side. I was hoping to get into reloadeding in the near future, but I dont know if the ugly shit this gun chucks out can be salvaged. :/ I completely stripped, cleaned and looked over all the internals, everything seems to be fine. I have only put about 75 rounds through and they have been Remington UMC 180g MC and Federal 180g FMJ.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but welcome to the club!

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Blu* :)

Welcome ta The Club, Bro. :thumbsup:

Hey, getta good pic of a few of your cases an' post it for others to see, somethin' like this:

[​IMG]

There were a couple threads concerning this issue, but an' old post from 2008, https://www.steyrclub.com/vb/threads/3506-Odd-Primer-Strike seemed to have the best explanation and recommendation:

Notice from my pic, the primer smear is alligned with the LCI indicator and seems to "point" to it, but the LCI's got nothin' to do w/ it other than to show the orientation of the striker in relationship to the LCI when the smear is occuring.

And, I suppose that in the instances when there aren't any LCI's on the Steyr pistols, the smear will be elongated in the same way, just that there's no LCI mark on the case in which to align the smear. <shrug>

Oh, and BTW, I roll my own ammo and haven't had any issues reusing my brass. <shrug>

Hope this helps.

Keep us in the loop, Bro. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- usta have 'em, too, but not anymore. <shrug>

4. BluteEhre

BluteEhre New Member

Thanks guys,

My markings are looking identical to the case on the top right of that picture. So I'm assuming its just par for the course with these pistols. I was wondering if there were any part upgrades that could lessen the time the extractor holds onto the spent cartridge. Since your reloading without any issues that gives me some positivity, although wouldn't this be quite hard on the firing pin over time?

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Blu* :)

I'm sure it was more than 75 rounds when the smearing stopped with my M357-A1 and IMHO, 75 rounds does not a proper break-in make. <shrug>

Keep us in the loop, Bro. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- headin' back out for more firewood *sigh*

6. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

I reloaded for my original M40 and M9 primer swipe is nothing to worry about and I had brass with LCI dents in them one piece of brass had 8 lost most of the brass before I could wear it out.

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya MrAp* :)

...and dayam! You keep very close tabs on where your brass ends up. I shoot mostly in unofficial ranges 'round here, in my lit'l mountain community and hafta hunt lika wolf ta find my brass! I doubt I got any o' my 357 SIG brass that's been reloaded more than 5 times before it becomes part of those unofficial ranges.

You're awesome, Bro! :thumbsup:

Oh, and Dude, I love your avatar...from onna the best movies of all time! :thumbsup:

Take care, Bro. :)

Wulf <-- thinkin', "might be time ta put downa couple 20'X20' tarps ta help recoup 'is losses o' brass in the field grasses *sigh*