Press Recomendations Please

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by midtnshooter, Dec 30, 2007.

1. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Hey All,

Well here we go..... I have NO IDEA what I need, what I want or what is good. Let me tell you where I stand.

1. I have been collecting my .40 cal for quite some time now.
    2. I have priced some brass on GunBroker.com and I buy my rounds new and save all brass, no seconds. I know how many times the brass has been loaded- Once.
    3. I will eventually go .38 super, but now I will stay with .40
    4. My neighbor saves his 30-06 and we will load for him after I get to know my future system.
    5. I do know, I want the easiest and least time consuming to load.
    6. I will be using the loads for competition only, not for PP.
    7. I haven't picked out a name for the system yet like I have for my pistols.
    8. Santa didn't bring me one, so I will have to buy this one myself. I don't mind spending a little extra, but I don't want to spend so much I won't see a return.
    9. I want consistency.

Can't think of #10

Books, links, classes, etc. will be welcomed with open arms.

Thank you all for any help.

MTS

2. Hilborne

Hilborne New Member

I recently started reloading and just last night fired my first 100 rounds of 40cal. I had two minor problem with getting into full battery, but that may have been the gun and then again it might have something to do with my reloads. So I'm new at it and my 2 cents would be just about what its worth. I was all set to buy a Lee 1000 proressive press but advice I had gotten said I might want to think on that. So my next door neighbor gave me his single stage press and related equipment, and I'm glad I started out with a single stage press. It's not hard to reload, but there is a learning curve. Buy a book or two, snoop around the internet, and ask questions. I was going to paste in here all my links I've collected, but can't figure out how to get the list in here with the url's. I'll work on that, but for starters try this one.

Andy

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=33

3. Hilborne

Hilborne New Member

I was just snooping around at the Highroad forum. There is a ton info on their reloading thread about getting into reloading.

http://www.thehighroad.org/

Andy

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

MTS,
    I have four presses. Dillion 650, Hornady LNL, RCBS turret and Rock Chucker....single stage....Last year the best deal around was the Hornady LNL. They would give the buyer one thousand free bullets of your choice for purchasing LNL. I got a thousand 45 HP'S from them that would have cost a couple hundred bucks. Check and see if that promotion is still going on http://www.hornady.com I believe is the site.
    I like the Hornady's ease of operation and sturdy build. If you get it decked out completely it will be fast and accurate. I've loaded thousands of rounds on my Dillion 650 and it is very fast if not a little more complex then the Hornady......they all work well. Lee is very cost effective, but I don't have a lot experience with them. RCBS presses have always been good and the company is great. I believe all these companies have a lifetime warranty and i've called Dillion and RCBS and gotten parts sent unconditionally without the whisper of malcontent....so take your pick... if money is no object a Dillion, Hornady, or RCBS progressive are among your best options, on a budget and Lee is great for the price.....multiply calibers loaded, I like the Hornady LNL for ease of caliber changes...............I have several reloading manuals that give the powders/bullet loads. I like to cross reference and some have your powder/bullet combos that another manual won't. I would recommend Sierra, Lee, Speer, manuals among others......but you should be hearing more recommendations from the group soon, since there are more then a few reloaders on our site.....Good Luck and safe reloading
    shooter....

5. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

MTS,
    The best Bang for your Buck (pun intended) will be the Lee turret presses. There are several configs available. I use the three hole indexing turret with the auto disc pro powder measure and the safety prime attachments. It is simple and affordable (less than $20.00 for the turret and extension tube and $20-$30.00 for the dies) to set up extra turrets with your different caliber dies and powder measure extension. Changing between calibers takes about 2 minutes, most of which is making the adjustment to the powder measure.
    IMHO the auto disc is accurate and consistent enough for handgun loads, unless you plan on loading hot and pushing the max charge line. (If you are going to go hot or will be tuning rifle cartridges, you will want an accurate digital powder scale and a trickler.)
    This set up is fairly quick. Not as speedy as a progressive press with all the bells and whistles, but you can start reloading at very reasonable startup cost.

If speed is your goal then you will want to invest a little more capital in a quality Hornady, Dillon or RCBS progressive press. The problem with progressives is that it is a lot more trouble to change dies. Most people who use Progressives set up a press for each caliber they are loading.
    I have no experience with Lee's progressive presses but have been told that they require constant tweaking to stay in tune. Take this for what it is... second hand info from the third person.
    I use Hornady's reloading guide as my primary ref. Each powder MFG will have a charging chart for the most common loads.

Click HERE to see Lee's web site. And never forget my mantra "Midway is my friend!"

Good luck, be safe and enjoy!

6. midtnshooter

Thank you all!

I have had a couple gys at the range recommend the Hornady and the Dillon. I checked out the links shown above while I was at work yesterday. The Handload.com link started me in the right direction. I didn't even know what some of these pieces of equipment was used for. There was a DVD available showing loading rounds for the Dillon 650 specific for IPSC but I haven't made up my mind which way to go. The one thing I do know is that manuals will be my first and foremost best friend.

Take Care,
    MTS

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I have been toying with the idea of loading my own for awhile now.... and am unsure yet if I am gonna take that plunge....

I will want something that is fairly simple to swap out calibers, do pistol and rifle cartridges, and be very automated after initial setup...

..and digital powder etc. for accuracy....

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Hornady LNL.............FASTED IN THE WEST......

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

....seems silly coming from someone as far east as you are.....

...are they slower over there?

:stupid:

10. midtnshooter

Baaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a poor southern boy. (Wait crotch check) Man.

Babs slams, MTS reacts. ..... [wait] (straight face :shock: ) Baaaaaahhhhh Hahahahaha

Still Funny ! Man, are there any admins in here to keep this a fair insult fight? If there are....."Go away".

I love this forum. (I need one of those warm-fuzzy-lets-hug feelin' avatars here).

:D

11. midtnshooter

This is supposed to be an educational thread. Please only information in this thread only !

Physc.........

Babs? Still funny

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

uuuummmmmmm......... :think: not sure how to take that.....since this has always been a civil web site.......but you can literally change your dies in under one minute..........I think LEE or maybe RCBS has started making a feature like this in there system, but I'm not sure...........

13. Hilborne

Hilborne New Member

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

15. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I just saw there Lee Progressive presses set up by caliber...........Can't beat $135.00 for a good fast start !!!!! I love the primer setup using the primer tray instead of pick up tubes.........I'd buy this press in a heartbeat just for that feature..........and Lee backs up there products too.......I'd make this my first choice for price and primer feature.............

16. nixon

nixon Member

you can't go wrong with either Hornady progressive press or a Dillon press. I have a Dillon xl-650 and it's been very good. Hornady on the other hand has a better price point and does great too.