Powder reside removal

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Soverign, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

Any suggestion for removal of power reside that so far only a razor blade or other "scratching" utensil seems to work.
    My GB, I noticed has some power reside that I cant seem to clean.
    Hopps, Power solvent, even Break free are not touching it.
    So far only scrapping gets it off.
    Would a dip in a ultrasound tank work?

Thanks
    Soverign

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Scotchbright pad does wonders in my experience. Throw some break free (aersol) or carb cleaner into the mix to get it even faster. I would even suggest that a copper brush and light scrubbing would be OK just so long as you don't overdue it....

3. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Will the Scotchbright remove the finish??

I would be gentle :wink:

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Where is the residue? I didn't think you meant on the exterior of the slide...

Still, I highly doubt scotchbright would do any harm if you used it gently. I usually squirt the pistol with MPro7 solvent, scrub it and let it sit for a few minutes, and then rinse it all off with aerosol Break Free. This gets probably 90% of the gunk off (the outside of the slide is almost spotless by this step), and then I usually work with a (nylon?) brush and more MP7 on any that remains.

5. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Brush with metal bristles work great for me - usually come in the cleaning kits, but you can pick them up anywhere. Look like toothbrush.

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have used a bronze brush and Gun Scrubber.

7. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Whenever I use a bronze brush, I get a gold color residue, which is annoying all in itself. Looks kinda cool though. :) Standard metal brush doesn't leave anything behind.