Possibly purchasing new S-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Flyinlow, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Flyinlow

Flyinlow New Member

Hello everyone,first post here. I am hoping some of you here can offer some suggestions. I stopped by Cabela's tonight and took a look at the S-A1. To make a long story short, they fit me like a glove. I was able to put both a 9mm and 40 cal on hold for 5 days while I decide what to do. I am a bit OCD and like to study up as much as possible whenever I make a purchase like this. :)

Will you please give me your opinion on which caliber I should purchase? The gun will be used as my conceal carry gun. Is there anything else I need to be aware of? They are selling them for $499. Is that a decent price? They also had the M-A1 which felt even better in my hand, but I just feel that the S-A1 will be easier to conceal.

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. MrFloydAF

MrFloydAF New Member

BLUF: my s40-a1 is hands down my favorite pistol in my collection and I trust it with my life daily. I would suggest 40 over 9mm as the frame handles it beautifully and the custom grips allow sight back on target immediately. These are harder and harder to find so 499 is more than reasonable. It is a little bulky to conceal but no worse than a compact glock. I have pumped over 300 rounds through it without a single issue and it still looks like I just bought it. I can't recommend it enough!

3. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Welcome to the SteyrClub!

I shoot the M40-A1 and so does my wife. We both love it. If you are familiar with weapons, then you will love the simplicity of the Steyr internals. You can easily do small things to make the weapon yours. If you read through the threads here you'll find tips on grip mods with stimpling, polishing small parts to make the perfect trigger pull for you. Big Taco Delrin striker guide rod spring cups make a substantial difference in trigger pull for the Cabelas models. Putting a BT SS guide rod in gives just a little more weight to the front end and makes the balance ideal - for me anyway.

This is about the friendliest website you're going to find with a lot of helpful folks. Again, welcome to the SteyrClub.

4. crow94

crow94 Member

I carry and love my S9-A1. I am 5'10", 178 lbs and carry at the 4 to 5 position IWB with a Cleveland holster and I don't wear your typical baggy conceal carry shirts or pants and have not had a problem with "printing". I don't want to get in the middle of which caliber is the best, but I feel you should train as you fight and with the cost of ammo you CAN find, 9mm is a pretty good choice; a couple well placed 9mm hollow points can be just as effective as a larger caliber in allowing you time to put distance beteween you and your aggressor.

5. Flyinlow

Flyinlow New Member

Is the S-A1 that I am looking at considered a "Franken Gun"? If so, should I stay away from it? If I could afford it, I would just buy both of them!

6. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

I don't know what Cabelas is selling but I have a S9-A1 and it is the best ergonomic compact gun I have. I thought the "frankinguns" Cabelas has was relegated to the M-series only but I am not sure. I like the 9mm variant but either is nice. If it's not a "Frankengun" then $499 is a very good price. If it is, I would pass. You can find the S9-A1 online for about $489 if you look.

7. Flyinlow

Flyinlow New Member

How would I go about finding out if it is the real deal or not? I don't want to make a mistake if possible. Thanks for all of the help so far! This site is awesome!

8. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

Someone may be able to give you a better answer but I would ask Cabela's if these are guns imported by SAI in Trussville,Ala. I think the S9-A1 is the finest compact polymer made at any price.

9. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

What Cabelas did you find the pistols at? I may want to pick up a few more for our gun trust... you never now.... Geez I was hoping to just get one Steyr and then try out CZ's but I may have to add more Steyr's then work on the CZ's.... The suppressors and SBR's will ahve to wait a little longer.

10. Flyinlow

Flyinlow New Member

They are at the Cabelas in Lehi, UT. I believe they had 3-40's and 2-9mm's as of last night.

11. LaBradford

LaBradford New Member

Check the left side of the frame for a rectangle box above the trigger. It should say SAI and where it's from ( GA or AL )...if it's blank, it's a gray gun. Also check the slide...if you're buying a M9-A1 and the slide has just "M9" on it..it's a gray gun. I would call Steyr and ask them about the S models. I've never heard of a gray market S model or a gray market M40-A1 either.

12. Flyinlow

Flyinlow New Member

Thanks for the info. I gave them a call and they confirmed that the gun has the Rectangle box, and says SAI AL. I am planning on picking one of them up tomorrow. 9mm or 40... decisions, decisions. :)