1. Guest

Guest Guest

Has anyone gotten their Steyr ported yet? If so, how much did it help? Also, where would be the best place to get this done? Thanks.

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Recoil doesn't seem to be one of the complaints for Steyr's. Short barreled pistol like this may not make much of a difference either...

3. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

^agree

Steyrs have very little recoil, other than for looks it would be useless IMO.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Are there any negative effects of porting?

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

yes porting can give flash from the ports blinding your target picture. send unburnt powder into your face. if you shoot it from the hip you could possibly feel the hot gas and get burned. though you can get that without porting as well.

its possible to get too much gas through the porting forcing the barrel below the target. its possible to fine tune things with springs and handloads.

I would only uses ports on a gun I was using for hunting(tame big caliber muzzle rise) or competition(fast followup shots and little muzzle rise required for speed shooting).

dont have any ported guns but tempted to see what kind of a racegun a Steyr M9 or M40 could make get a scope mount and reddot maybe a new barrel and comp depends what the weight of the scope mount and scope does to muzzle rise custom handloads would be use for soft shooting but makre minor or major powerfactor.

with the pics just imagine two or more streams of the flash coming upward in front of the sights where porting would be

some night shots with SW9VE and Steyr M9
    non flash suppressed powder
    [​IMG]
    same load same bullet powder primer and case.
    MrA's secret voodoo whodo juju added
    [​IMG]
    M9 going off with same powder as first two
    [​IMG]
    Steyr M40 with same powder
    [​IMG]

not that anyone shoots at night much. the flash doesnt stay around for even 1 second or half a second.

first two shots fired inside a brass catcher screen. last two are a cornfield. the flash is a result of oxygen.

6. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

my 44mag revolver has a ported barrel, I actually enjoy the fireworks esp when I use H110 powder :)

btw what powders are 'non flash suppressed'?

In the once I used so far in 9mm Power Pistol seems to produce the largest flash.

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

forgot porting can make a gun louder as well.

non suppressed powders? might be easier counting the other way like what is suppressed or lower flash. got another thread going on that.

8. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I have two ported barrels/slides and it helps with reducing recoil, but as many have said...Steyr's recoil is mild compared to other pistols. I wouldn't use a ported pistol for CCW...I once shot my ported EAA pistol without plugs and my ears were ringing for days. I would suggest not having a Steyr ported.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the tips everyone.

10. lycanthrope

lycanthrope Guest

A comped Steyr would make a great Steel challenge gun.

11. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

How about a compensator that mounts on the front using the tac rail? Slides on and locks in place similar to HK comps. (Think Lora Croft). Has anyone ever attempted something like that? It would increase the overall length by about 1.5 inches, perhaps have a place where you can put weights to reduce already low recoil...

12. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

better to just add stainless guide rod,scope mount and scope. threaded barrel and comp.

scope mount available for M and MA1

only thing need then is trigger job and main spring adjustment got a race gun that should be highly accurate to 25-50 yards

13. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Here's another idea - in my freshly aquired M9 A1 (thanks Melvin!) I have noticed a sizable area right underneath the guide rod in a rectangular shape, that can be used to place a weight (lead preferably) to offset the recoil. Just an idea, but I'll try it out.

14. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

9mm Steyr has hardly any muzzle flip anyways I don't see why you'd want to add a counter weight...