Ported Barrels

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by RiceCakes, May 31, 2007.

1. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

I did a search on this, didnt really find anything. I been out for about 9 months. Anyway, has anyone done any research into ported barrells? I know most of the pros and cons already, just wondering if anyone had looked into it already.
    -RC

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

As of late, no manufacturers offer a ported option for the Steyrs. I've tried to convince BigTaco to look into it, but I don't think he's interested :lol:

IGB makes a pretty crazy compensator - that would be the closest thing I could think of.

A flash hider adds some weight/balance and looks pretty smooth, too. 8)

[​IMG]

3. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

That and the can look pretty sweet. Did you have to custom those barrels? How does the can and the comp attach?

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You just use a threaded barrel available from IGB or Steyr.

Thanks BT - I forgot IGB made the "ported" barrels. I was thinking of a chopped slide setup like you commonly see on glocks and XDs...

6. mrboma

mrboma Member

Pictures

I have a comp on my Colt 1911 Gov. and love it. Does anyone have any pictures of the IGB COMP on a Steyr.
    I would like to see how the setup look and could not find any pictures on the site.
    Thanks,
    Mike

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

IGB has actually never produced one specifically for the Steyrs, according to an acquaintance who recently checked with IGB...

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

9. mrboma

mrboma Member

Well then I ask you this...

The product description says:
    Barrel in 42CrMo4 with Impulse Porting

And, if one were to look closely at the barrel in the popup you will notice what "looks" to be 2 holes about a 1/4 inch back from the threads...

[​IMG]

I know this is NOT the typical way of porting a barrel, but again, ports are just holes.

I have heard alot of you speak very kindly on IGB and would hate to think this is false advertising.

Ball is back in your court,
    Mike

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Well, those certainly do look like 'ports'.....

However, they are behind the threads that secure the compensator, and would only serve to vent chamber pressure inside the slide.... and frame... and possibly right back in your face around the breech/barrel lock......

Hmmmm.....

Very Interesting....

IMHO, a 'Ported' barrel requires NO ADDITIONAL parts to serve its function, where as a 'Compensated' barrel generally has a 'ported' extension that threads/bolts to the barrel.

The advantages/reasons for Compensated barrel assemblies was to reduce cost and not require permanent modification of your factory equipment.... as Porting usually requires....

I Don't like the extra 'junk' hanging off the front of my barrel just looking to come loose etc and creat who knows what problems... plus has to come on/off the barrel every time you 'field strip' your weapon...

bleh.....

...back on topic.....

If those are indeed through-holes in the barrel, I cannot imagine what function the serve...

:? :? :?

11. mrboma

mrboma Member

Couldnt agree with you more. Except for the "thingy" hangin off the end of the gun. Not only do I like the looks of the 1911 with the comp, but the extra weight helps in recoil as does the porting of the gas.
    IMHO,
    Mike - Still waiting to see a picture of a Steyr with the comp on it.

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I believe that is a picture of the ones they have made for glocks. Yes, they advertise them, but that doesn't mean they are sitting on the shelf waiting to fly off. I've never personally looked into it, so this is all second hand information, but I turned a fellow forum member on to IGB and he contact them and their reply was that they had never produced any of those compensators for the Steyr - just glock. Then again, these are generic parts that thread on - who knows what pistols they have been attached to? Actually, I may be thinking of some other IGB part like the scope mount or something - who knows? Best way to find out is to contact them...