Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious about the fact that Steyr pistols weigh more than similar polymer pistols, so I did some research on dimensions and weight of popular midsized pistols. Most of the true midsized pistols have a 15 round capacity. I also included S&W and FN fullsize pistols because these companies do not have a midsize offering in their current lineup. I limited the comparison to 9mm. See the attached chart.

Not only do Steyr pistols appear to be more ruggedly designed, they appear to be very space efficient for pistols with a 17 round capacity. I computed cubic inches as (slide length * width * assumed 2" slide height) + ((grip height - 2" for the slide height) * width * assumed 2" front-to-back of grip).

What are your thoughts?
Font Material property Number Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know whether this means they are more sturdy or if Steyr just wasn't as conscientious about getting weight out of the gun where it's not needed.
In a 2011 post entitled "Slide thickness and locking mechanism relationships" Wilhelm Bubits, principal designer of the modern Steyr pistols, said "more mass results in more pleasant shooting behavior and a longer lifetime of the pistol".

Also keep in mind that the Steyr pistols were designed long before some of the other pistols on the list, so maybe some companies believe that weight savings is of greater importance for the growing concealed carry market. And yet the CZ P07 G2 is fairly new (2014) and weighs in excess of 27 ounces, with all metal controls - trigger, mag release, slide release, decocker & sights. Clearly this is an attempt to appeal to the LE and military markets with a firearm that will last and be totally reliable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I made a slight alteration the the data because some companies measure the width of pistols from the widest point, whereas others measure the widest of the slide or frame/grip and ignore controls. For the purpose of estimating volume, ignoring controls is better. The CZ P07 slide actually measures 1.16" in width and 1.16" for the grip. CZ's website lists the pistol's width as 1.45" which I originally rounded up to 1.5". I have adjusted this using the 1.16" rounded up to 1.2". Also the FN website listed the FNX 9's width as 1.55" which I originally rounded up to 1.6". Upon reflection this is clearly too wide, so I used the same published width as the FNS 9 or 1.4"

Only the change to the CZ's width changed the order. The CZ follows the two Steyrs at the top of the list as heavier per volume. Here is the adjusted list.
Font Parallel Pattern Number Circle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I never considered Caracal, but looking at the specs it appears the Caracal F would rise to the top. And yet the problem with Caracal is not the Bubits design but the company itself, which doesn't match any company on the list in their ability to consistently manufacture quality firearms. The verdict on Caracal is not in yet - which is why I never considered Caracal. It's really a shame because Bubits design is outstanding!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was curious about the fact that Steyr pistols weigh more than similar polymer pistols, so I did some research on dimensions and weight of popular midsized pistols. Most of the true midsized pistols have a 15 round capacity. I also included S&W and FN fullsize pistols because these companies do not have a midsize offering in their current lineup. I limited the comparison to 9mm. See the attached chart.

Not only do Steyr pistols appear to be more ruggedly designed, they appear to be very space efficient for pistols with a 17 round capacity. I computed cubic inches as (slide length * width * assumed 2" slide height) + ((grip height - 2" for the slide height) * width * assumed 2" front-to-back of grip).

What are your thoughts? View attachment 3095
Unfortunately here in MA.
we are limited to 10rd mags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The width is interesting to me, honestly that's my biggest issue with the Steyr for carry. That's why I never bothered to look at the S, I thought it was too wide to be a good small carry gun. The M is ok, I understand a compact with that width though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The width is interesting to me, honestly that's my biggest issue with the Steyr for carry. That's why I never bothered to look at the S, I thought it was too wide to be a good small carry gun. The M is ok, I understand a compact with that width though.
I believe the holster choice makes a huge difference. I use a Clinger "Atom" holster (which Clinger only sells on EBay for a great price, $24,95 including shipping). If you look closely at the holster you will see the clip over the trigger guard. This keeps the handgun's grip snug against the body. I have no problem concealing my C9A1 even under a tee shirt using this holster. And by the way, the width of the slide and frame of my C9A1 is exactly the same (1.18") as a Glock 19. I rounded both up to 1.2" in the comparison charts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe the holster choice makes a huge difference. I use a Clinger "Atom" holster (which Clinger only sells on EBay for a great price, $24,95 including shipping). If you look closely at the holster you will see the clip over the trigger guard. This keeps the handgun's grip snug against the body. I have no problem concealing my C9A1 even under a tee shirt using this holster. And by the way, the width of the slide and frame of my C9A1 is exactly the same (1.18") as a Glock 19. I rounded both up to 1.2" in the comparison charts.
I have and have carried both Stinger Atoms and Stingrays for my Steyr M9a1 and Walther PSS 9mm. I like both, but prefer the Atom because of the sweat-shield - makes it easier to reholster. Now that it is winter, I've carried my Steyr in an OWB kydex paddle holster with great success. I just don't think that the Steyr is too big to carry effectively, either IWB or outside. Granted, the PPS single stack is much thinner, but I still have no problem with the size of the Steyr. However, I've never tried to carry the Steyr with just a T-shirt/shorts in the summer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.