Poll: Turn-Around Time From Steyr Arms, Inc.

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Syntax360, Jan 22, 2007.

How long did it take to get your firearm back from Steyr?

1. 1 week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-2 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2-3 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3-4 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1 - 2 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 2-3 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 3 - 6 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

If you have ever had to send your pistol into Steyr for repair, let us know (roughly) how long it took to get it back. Let's go for door to door times, and if possible, post what was wrong and the dates you were without the gun. It is my hope that we will be able to see what the average return time is and whether that average fluctuates from month to month, year to year.

I'll start - I sent mine off on 02/13/2006 and got it back 02/24/2006.

I mailed it out UPS ground and I believe they sent it back FedEx ground, so there is some definite in-transit time built into those 9 business days. I had a barrel fail on me - possibly from a squib or some other ammo induced pressure spike. The company was an absolute pleasure to work with and I was positively thrilled with the service.

2. drsmith58

drsmith58 New Member

1 week door to door. FTEs, they replaced the extractor, spring, and plug.

3. Ektelon

Ektelon Guest

Talked with Jeff at SAI about M40 ser# 001XXX he said to send it in and they would go through it. Shipped UPS on 13 Feb and received it back (UPS) on 19 Feb. They replaced the extractor and lightened the trigger ... shoots like a new gun. Excellent service and attitude. I only live approximately 4 hours from SAI so shipping was fast.Looks like I'm gonna have to have an S model now :lol:

4. mikey

mikey Guest

It took them a little over two weeks for repairs to my M40 - but some of that was UPS time in transit.

While I'm still a little frustrated about how clueless Steyr-Mannlicher in Austria seems to be when it comes to the American consumer, SAI gets Five Stars for their customer service.

Bravo to Jack, and the whole gang there. :)

5. rosebud

rosebud New Member

I am about to send mine out for trigger lightening, but both fedex and UPS want to rape me for 50$ on next day air. Is their (UPS/fedex) "requirement" that pistols be sent next day air a law, or just them being jerks? I see that others here used ground...

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I believe it is just policy. You might run into an issue (insurance) if your pistol were "lost" by the carrier on the way into SAI, but as far as I know (and IANAL!) it is legal to do so. You do run into legal concerns if you send it "improperly" through USPS, I believe. I do not recall how I sent my M9A1 into Steyr a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay more than $15. I really don't recall though, so take everything I just said with a serious grain of salt.

7. rosebud

rosebud New Member

That's what my reading of the laws on AFT.gov seem to say also, I just wanted to see if anyone else interpreted them that way.

8. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

From Fedex

Firearms

1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    2. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required Delivery Signature Option or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
    3. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
    4. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
    5. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
    6. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
    7. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

My FFL guy said he can ship USPS for less but that they do not like it.. Maybe you can find a FFL to ship it for you??

9. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Alright so I freakin retarded...so shoot me....

I am curious what guns are going back...can someone do a poll to check...are people sending original M's, orginal S's (is there an original S series?), A1 M's or A1 S's?

Thanks

Jerry

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I believe we have already done this - it was just about split even.

11. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

While I've never had to get service, I'd imagine I could probably get same day as I could walk there from here.

Buzz

12. rlwood29

rlwood29 Guest

Sorry I am trying to follow this thread but if I get it correct; if I have to send the entire firearm, not jusrt parts, it goning to cost a bunch. I have a friendly LEO, if I understand corectly he can ship much less expensively? Do I have this correct?