Poll - How many have used Steyr for repair work?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Glock_Holiday, May 26, 2007.

How many have used Steyr (SAI) for repair work?

1. I have sent my Steyr back for repair.

20.0%
  2. Used local Gunsmith for repair.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Never had to repair my Steyr. Runs like a champ.

80.0%
  1. Glock_Holiday

Glock_Holiday Guest

Just wondering how many of you out there have had to have Steyr (SAI) repair or replace something on your Steyr handguns. Mine has been flawless so far, but I see a fair amount of people posting that they have been sending their guns back to SAI for work.

GH

2. amonkey

amonkey New Member

I have an old M40 imported by GZS, ser. # 016xxx. Granted, I have only put 700+ rounds :( through it, but I have had no malfuntions. I don't count the one FTF due to a reload, quality control issue.
    I have shot all sort of ammo through it including Blazer and PMC with NO issues, it does run like a champ :lol:

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

+1 on runs like a champ.
    (BTW, great monniker for those of us who have carried Glocks for years and then switched to Steyr: Glock_Holiday :lol: )

4. Ektelon

Ektelon Guest

I have an old, old M40 ser# 0019XX and did send it back to Jeff at SAI but only to have the "trigger fix" applied as it had the old heavy trigger pull (while there they replaced the extractor, but I never had a problem) Have cycled many rounds through it with no problems at all other then one FTF but as above this was due to "operator head space and timing" NOT the pistol.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Just wondering: a fourth choice of something like "Did not want to deal with repairs: unloaded it".
    That would give a full accounting of the percentage of sample respondents who have had problems vs. those who have not.

6. West01

West01 New Member

+1...no repair, flawless operation.

West01

:D

7. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

I bought a used S40, upon receipt I noticed the broken tabs inside the frame and sent it to Steyr Arms. They replaced the frame gratis, and did so within a couple weeks total turn around time (and this was in the middle of the sale of Steyr Mannlicher so for part of the time they had my pistol, they had no idea if they were still going to be in business a month later).

Nothing but praise for the folks at Steyr Arms.

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I have an M40 and and M40-A1. The M40 I bought used, it was a fantatsic deal. The A1` I bought from CDNN.

I lost the spring for the M40's takedown lever plunger. SAI sent me one, gratis. I called them and asked about recoil springs for my M40. They said they did not have enough on hand to send one out, but could replace mine if I sent in my gun. I thought was a reasonable response, given the current parts shortage. Jeff told me how to find out if my spring was shot, I tested it and I decided to wait until they had parts to ship.

I had function (FTE) problems as I finished a 500 rd case of Wolf. After that was gone and the chamber was cleaned out, I have not had a single problem. With either gun. They mostly get to shoot remfg ammo.

9. Dag

Dag Guest

How many have used Steyr (SAI) for repair work?

Well, I fall into a fourth catagory. I had ejection problems ... uh, I mean the gun had ejection problems :D , but I didn't use either of the first two options. I fixed it myself, by installing "the plunger spring fix". A little more tweaking, and it NOW runs like a champ! No SAI, no local gunsmith. Not sure how you score that one.

Dag

10. revchuck

revchuck Guest

I bought mine used a couple of years ago. It's an older one, with a "00" serial number. I sent it back to SAI for the trigger replacement, and they just installed the whole new insides. It also had problems with extraction which didn't change until I installed the 1911 plunger spring fix. Overall, I'm satisfied with the service.

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

I hadta send my M357-A1 to SAI for "doubling". Alan Cornett replaced the guts and sent it back "fixed". I've had zero probs since and it has become my primary defense piece when I leave the house. <shrug>

Wulf <-- gives SAI 2 thumbs up

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Be nice if they could've just installed a switch to turn the doubling on and off.

:twisted:

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

If I send in my M357-A1, would SAI install the "doubling" feature?

Sounds neat to me. But I can imagine it would be a surprise if it happened when you didn't expect it.

Reckon those rocket-hot loads you're blasting with touched off some spontaneous combustion, Wulf?

:mrgreen:

14. smores

smores Guest

Hopefully it would happen with your muzzle pointed squarely downrange... and better still at the target. I've heard of guys shooting Desert Eagles (and other high recoil guns with touchy triggers) that have pulled off unintentional double- or even triple-taps due to them not expecting the recoil and flinching just so as to pull the trigger back.

Honestly, I'd be very concerned if any pistol I owned did that, and I knew it wasn't from me not being able to control it fully or whatever.

15. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

mine did it. it would put both rounds in COM at 21 feet. the slide cycles much more slowly than a glock that's been polished to full-auto status. (and subsequently repaired!!)

i loved it. always two rounds. never a full mag.

the instructor could not believe how fast i was completing this string of fire: 5 rounds to slide lock, reload, five rounds. (6 after reloading! 2-2-2!)

only with certain primers though. the rest of the time it was a failure to reset.

while it was a blast, mr. secret agent federal man won't be too impressed, so i keep her in good repair and legal.

don't forget to post your experiences in the SAI IS TOP NOTCH sticky so they'll be available for new steyr owners.

16. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *foto* :)

It wasn't my reloads at all. :roll: That doublin' thang was way back when I was still gatherin' brass so I could start reloadin'. It happened mostly with the 125 gr FP WWB I got from Wal-Mart. Aside from the Remington 125 gr ammo that Wal-Mart also sold, that's pretty much all I've ever shot "factory-wise". And, I prefer the Winchester 357 SIG brass for reloading over the Remington. That's all I gotta say about that. <shrug> Take 'er easy and join us when ya getta chance at the #Steyrclub chatroom some evenin'. :)

Wulf

17. West01

West01 New Member

Both of my Steyr; M9-A1 and M40-A1 operate perfectly...no problem.

:D

West01

18. Dag

Dag Guest

Poll Results, so far

Looking at the results is just a bit troubling. Right now, it shows more than 40% of voters have had to send their weapons to someone for repair! :shock: If you add the numbers for both SAI and local gun smiths, it's nearly half of the responding owners (44%) with problems serious enough to be repaired by either Steyr or a gun smith. HALF! :shock: :!: Now this group of owners is by no means typical of all owners, but I have no reason to believe the guns owned by club members are any different than the rest of the Steyr pistols, world wide. If that's really the case, this is a damning statistic for Steyr Arms. Clearly, this isn't a statistically sound poll, and is a very small sample, but I'm afraid it's a real indication that Steyr may have a major problem! HALF! Now the up side. If this motivates Herr Holzschuh to make some key changes to improve the quality (read consistancy) of the entire pistol line, we just might end up with, say, an M-B1 pistol that fixes some of the nagging issues we hear about in these discussions. At least I hope that turns out to be the up side! :!:

Hey, Glock_Holiday, thanks for a very interesting poll!

:?: So, what do the rest of you think? :?:

Dag

19. revchuck

revchuck Guest

Dag - Not necessarily. Of the ones listed here, only Wulf's select-fire :wink: .357 SIG is an A1. Most of the others went back for the trigger upgrade. Steyr may well have applied the fixes needed in the new model. I plan on getting one of the M40A1s from CDNN to go with my M40, so I'll find out first hand.

20. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

My M40-A1 #53XXX is currently at Steyr to fix problems with trigger reset and failure to return to battery. Jeff said he is going to replace the trigger group and put in a new recoil spring. The return to battery problem developed soon after 500 rounds and the trigger started to not reset around 950 rounds.

I have yet to decide how many rounds I have to put through the gun once I get it back before I have enough confidence in it to carry. I am thinking 500.

I am looking forward to putting it up against my Glock 23. And my partner didn't get to shot it before it broke. She doesn't like the G23, too snappy, though she likes my friends G19 quite a bit.

So what do you do when your wife prefers another man's Glock? :cry: :lol: