poll: do you want a pin set

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by MrApathy, Jan 28, 2007.

do you want a pin set?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

poll: do you want a pin set?
    how many would you buy to keep your pistol running?

material would either be a hard alloy steel or stainless

basic pin set.

Part # Part Name
    9 ejector/sear safety pin
    14 sear lever pin
    15 sear lever pin
    21 trigger safety pin
    22 trigger pivot pin
    29 manual safety pivot pin
    maybe
    40 extractor spring guide pin
    49 retainer cap detent pin
    last two require custom order to specification or machining.

part number 9 and 21 are coiled spring pins which is little harder to find. btw part number 9 is used twice one is the ejector pin the other stops the sear safety.

steyr used good tough pins but they may eventually become worn or
    misplaced during maintenance.

wont be titanium. titanium nitride coated may be a possibility but the cost would go up more. the hardness of the metal and material would be less likely to rust.

every other part requires machining these are the simplest.

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam strait, MrAp :p

Where do I sign? Can I get 'em in ss or titanium? Wassup? 8-O

Wulf

3. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

What kind of "pin set" are you talking about? A set of firing pins? What?
    I would like to know so I could vote correctly! Whatever pins you are talking about, what would be the benefit to getting them in stainless or titanium?
    More info mister!!!!! :lol:

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

sign me up too..........and a spring set............I like sets............. 8)

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

thats next only if I can find a gauge to measure the springs weight.
    doesnt help the gun is made to metric system and I am smack damn in the middle of imperialism :roll:

3 pins are coil springs,1 holds the ejector other has the sear safety resting on it and the other is the trigger. want to make sure those are right.

some 9 pins

13 springs in the gun not counting the magazine spring.
    at the moment dont feel like removing the sights to get to the LCI spring. trigger is not much fun either.

have to enter data into cad not much fun.

6. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Yes!

I'll PM my address if you don't have it !

MidTNShooter

7. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Appreciate your time and energy, Mr Apathy.

But sounds like a lot of work, especially since Steyr has already done it and should have replacement parts readily available.

Is it really not possible to get pin sets from the factory?

Even if we all went together and ordered a bunch of em at one time?

I've read IDPASteyrs 90k round post about reliability and a few others...

Just how common is parts failure on these pistols? Is this a could happen after 3000 rounds or a probably will happen after 3000 rounds or less type of thing?

8. mikey

mikey Guest

I voted "maybe."

It's a good idea, but I think we need to hold out for another month or so to see just what happens to Steyr USA. If they're actually going goodbye, then upgrade my response to "yes."

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya mikey :)

Just so's you'll know, Steyr USA went bye bye a couple years ago. <shrug> Now its whether or not Steyrarms is on the way out. So, maybe you will start understanding that weaning ourselves from an Austrian parts supplier may be our best option. <shrug> But, as you say, a bit more time will allow for a better understanding of "how important" it is to establish our own and immediate parts supply this go'round. 8) Hava good week.

Wulf

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

i hate to tell ya this, but Steyr isn't going to be sending you or me parts anytime soon, and if you want to send your gun in everytime something breaks or fails.........good luck........... :lol:
    Sorry mikey, just getting frustrated and didn't read Wulf's wonderfully stated response. We've been down this road numerous times.......... :cry:

11. breechplug

breechplug Guest

Put me in as a yes :D and the springs too 8-O

12. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

P.p.p.p.please :D

Like Wulf, I'd like 'em made out of the good stuff(ss or titanium). 8)
    ________
    mugdava

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Has anyone seen any hard evidence that titanium is any better at doing the job then SS....other then lighter material.......I know some Glock parts are made of titanium but they are not recommended for SD just competition.........and for the cost, I'm not sure its worth the extra $$.. :?:

14. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

I voted maybe, because I are not smart enough yet for a full detail strip where I could use said pins for spares. If it required my support for MrA to get this going, I'm in, hands down.

15. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

how do you wear out a pin? :oops: :? wouldn't you have to go thru dozens of springs before you'd need to replace a pin?

16. breechplug

breechplug Guest

If you have the parts most Smiths could do the work. I'm not as skilled as I'd like to be, but I'm good with tools and can follow GOOD directions. :wink:

17. PeskyGee

PeskyGee Guest

So where can I get this and how much?

Sorry I haven't been on the site for a while. I would be very interested in this. I hate the fact of having to send my gun back to have anything replaced. I'd much rather do it myself. Please let me know. TIA

18. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

pins are all measured waiting on samples to arrive for testing. have to find someone to make custom pins of couple parts the extractor pin and the end plate pin.

dont have the new extractor pin to measure if someone with that could take a set of calipers give me the specs would appreciate and get to work on it.

need to get the springs measure and put into cad next. got the wire diameters coils but need to find out the weight in oz and pounds.
    got down type torsion or compression.

19. breechplug

breechplug Guest

MrA, you are the man!! =D>